Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

My Device: BlackBerry Q10
My Carrier: Three

Unlocked phone asking for MEP code

A friend of mine has recently purchased a Q10 on eBay, and despite it showing 'Unlocked' for both Network Subset and 'Service Provider', the phone is asking for an MEP code whenever his Three (UK) SIM is inserted.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?  I've advised him to reject the phone but he is already rather in love with the device and seems determined to fix it.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Unlocked phone asking for MEP code

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There are three settings, actually, that must say "Unlocked". If, rather than inserting the SIM, he goes here:

• Homescreen > swipe from top > Settings > Security and Privacy > SIM Card

Then scroll to the bottom of the screen, the two you mention will show "Unlocked", but there will also be words like:

• "Phone Network Lock: You can unlock this device with the MEP code provided by the original seller of the device"

And there also will be a button with "Unlock Network". On an unlocked BB10 device, that button and those words are not there...rather, in addition to the two you see as unlocked, there will also be a third, called "Network", which will say "Unlocked".

So, the deduction is that this device is not actually unlocked, and can only be used on the carrier for which it was originally manufactured. Depending on how it was represented on eBay, your friend may or may not have any recourse with the seller. Of course, unlock codes are I believe already available for purchase for BB10 devices.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Super Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Telus

Warning, do not try and "guess" the MEP code.  Do it too many times and it warns it may be permanently locked.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

vfk wrote:

Warning, do not try and "guess" the MEP code.  Do it too many times and it warns it may be permanently locked.

To be more precise, rather than "may be", if you enter an incorrect MEP code 10 times, the device definitely will be permanently locked to it's originally manufactured-for carrier, and then only the factory can legally reset it (at costs which I have heard exceed just buying a new one). One should never "guess" at an MEP code, for it is unique, cryptic, and must be provided by a reputable source.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................