Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: AT&T

Visual voice mail download error message

I called my provider, AT&T, to ensure that I have the visual voice mail option enabled.  The customer service representative said yes.  When I tried to test it by leaving myself a voice mail from a land line, the message appeared that the visual voice mail could not be downloaded and that I should call to pick up my voice mail.

I was in a location where the cell coverage is poor, but I had a strong WiFi connection right next to the router.  Do visual voice mails download over either the cell connection or WiFi?

I wonder also if the AT&T rep could have been mistaken about visual voice mail's being on my plan.  I've never had it before for my previous BB models.  What am I doing wrong?

Incidentally, I love my Q10.  I spent the first week or so working through email setup problems, but I'm truly happy with the Q10 now.  While I still need some practice with copying and pasting, I've become fairly adept at navigating the other new features, especially the big circle.  My only request in future updates would be the ability to see more of my own text message as I compose.  The screen displays too much of the previous message.

Thanks,

C. W. Byrd

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Visual voice mail download error message

Hi seebyrdie_ok,

Voice mail and visual voice mail use the service provider's mobile network, so if you were in an area of poor cell coverage, that may have impacted this feature. Have you been able to test the feature when in an area of good coverage? If so, what were the results? If you are unsure and wish to verify if the feature has been added to your account, I would recommend contacting your service provider again to confirm this.

Let me know how it goes.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Regular Contributor

FS:

I live on a ranch in an area that always has poor cell coverage. I thought that the visual voice mail would work over WiFi. Today, however, I'm in a large city. I'll test it & report back. 

Thank you for addressing my problem. 

C. W. Byrd

Regular Contributor

Today I went to an AT&T store for help with the VVM. I had the "visual voice mail cannot be downloaded" error message on the Q10 when I walked it. The AT&T rep couldn't solve the problem and called the AT&T support department for assistance. Unfortunately, neither one could get it to work. They did confirm, however, that I am paying for the VVM option on my plan and that messages should download over both the phone and WiFi. 

The AT&T rep in the store said that he would need to call BlackBerry support. Since I had to wait in line for service, however, I was out of time. I told him that I would try to stop by the AT&T store again tomorrow.

C. W. Byrd

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm on TMO so it might vary with AT&T, but TMO has 2 types of Visual Voice Mail, one is free and included in every plan but it does have to be turned on at the carrier level. This version just leaves you a message with the phone number that left you the voice mail. The second includes the text of of the voice mail and there's a charge for that version, I think $2 or3 per month. On your Q10 from the main screen touch the Phone icon on the lower left corner, then swipe down to bring up the phone settings, then choose Visual Voice Mail and see if that works.

Regular Contributor

tirgoman:

Thank you for your reply and your attention to my issue. I returned to the AT&T store (I'm still in the parking lot), and with the help of a BlackBerry support tech, they fixed it! All along it was a password problem on the AT&T end--something about switching my plan from one to another and the password didn't transferwith it. The Q10, however, didn't prompt me for a password. It simply reported that it couldn't download the VVM messages.

I asked the AT&T rep to ask the BlackBerry support tech if VVM will work over WiFi, and he said yes. 

Thanks again for your help. I hope that the resolution of my iissue helps someone else. 

C. W. Byrd

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10

Hi, seebyrdie_ok

If you're still checking this board, could you be clearer about how you solved it?  I'm having the same problem, with AT&T. I was on the phone for them for about 40 minutes and we still cannot get it working.  I started out with the same problem you were having, with the same error message.  But, now, it keeps asking for a Visual Voice Mail password. They kept resetting it, but everytime I use the new reset number, I get a message saying it's incorrect. I also tried to reset it in settings and it still tells me the "current" password is wrong.  Any help you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Regular Contributor

sydneyp:

All I can tell you is that the AT&T reps whom I talked to on the phone never helped me.  And both times that I visited an AT&T store, the salesmen weren't very familiar with the Q10.

During my last visit, I was lucky that I found a salesman who persevered to solve my problem.  He got a BlackBerry support rep on the phone, fixed my VVM instantly and then handed me my Q10.  I couldn't see what the BlackBerry rep had him do.

If you live near an AT&T store (and I don't), then I'd suggest that you go there and insist that they fix it for you.

I'm sorry that I can't offer more help.

C. W. Byrd 

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10

No, you were very helpful! Just knowing it was a password issue helped isolate the problem. After I got off the phone with AT&T, I played around with it a bit more. And finally I got it to work.

I have had the phone for over a month and never knew what I was missing. I always thought vvm was a vm sent by video! This is pretty cool to be able to display them like that.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

That's good news. I'd never enabled VVM on my old BB Bold, either. It's a nice feature.