Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

I called AT&T today to ask about the Bold 9900, and was told that if I purchased it from them it would be $300. Lol....so I went into another AT&T store in hope that they had kept a few devices, and I was lucky enough to find one. It was the only phone they had, brand new, and had come in about a month ago. I told them it came in for me Smiley Happy So I was able to trade in my curve, and get the Bold for $100. I'm extremely happy right now because at least the bold is fast enough to do everything, and least last for another year or so, until BlackBerry hopefully gets their act together. Quick Question: how can I make sure which apps are running, so that I can stop the ones that I don't use? Thanks
Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Hi Spektrakos,

Glad to here you found the phone you wanted.  It makes me wonder how many Bolds are still sitting in the distribution channel ready for sale.  To answer your question about checking which apps are running, the easiest way is to simply hold down the blackberry button (the one to the left of the track pad).  This will activate the application switcher and show you all of the running applications.  You can then go into them and close them as requried.  It's worth nothing that you can't close the browser or Blackberry Messenger.

I also recommend ensuring you're running 7.1 of OS7.  It included a feature called "Application Resource Monitor" that automatically closes applications that are draining the battery in the background.  It's actually worked very well for me. Hope that helps.

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: orange

helpful contribution. I think I'll wait before upgrading. Also interesting about the Shortcutme app. I downloaded it, but don't know how to setup enable/disable caller ID. can you help?
Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Hi Arimajer,

Shortcutme is a macro playback application which means you have to write your own set of commands and then the software will "replay" those commands on the push of a button.  To get the most out of the software, you'll have to have some basic knowledge of how computer scripting works. I don't want to derail this thread towards Shortcutme support so I'd like to suggest you read through the threads below on how Shortcutme Macros work.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-os-apps-f35/basics-macros-shortcutme-676628/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-os-apps-f35/macros-shortcutme-637024/

Having said that, I think this is a great example to demonstrate the power of a physical keyboard and why it's unfortunate this application isn't properly supported on the Q10.

Let's use the caller ID one as an example.  Due to the nature of my job, I fairly frequently have to call people and I'd rather not allow them to see my phone number.  But then as soon as that call is done, I want to reenable the feature.  There is an option buried several levels deep in the Blackberry menus that allow you to enable and disable caller ID.  While you can navigate these menus each time to toggle it, wouldn't it be great if you could press just one or two buttons to accomplish the same thing?

To accomplish this with Shoutcut me, you can do the following:

- Edit the common config and set the "Home Screen Hotkey" to "Space" (This allows you to activate all of your macros by simply pressing space from the home screen, followed by the key you assigned to the macro)

- Add a new entry and set the type as "Run a macro"

- Set the "shortcut key" to the letter you want to activate. (I use "i")

- Paste in the script below into the Macro section.  (It will provide a menu to enable or disable caller ID and then go produce the same steps you would to actually do it.  I wrote this myself.  I'm sure there are better/faster ways to do this but it works)

#BEGIN SCRIPT - Don't paste this line#

SelectFrom Restrict CallerID, Allow CallerID;

If2 $$Result==0;
Then2; Set $$$$loc=1;
ElseIF2 $$Result==1; Set $$$$loc=3;
Else2; stop;
EndIf2;

If3 $$$$loc==0;
Then3;
Else3;
CloseOptions;
LaunchAndWait Options; keyIn-call set; NavClick;
Delay100;
MenuItemFromTop3; NavClick; menuItemFromTop $$$$loc;
NavClick; EscKey; NavClick; ESCKey; EscKey; EscKey;
EndIf3;

#END SCRIPT  - Don't paste this line#

Now, any time you want to toggle CallerID, you just press "Space Bar / "i") and you're done.  It's awesome.  Because you have the actual script, you can expand on this in a thousand different ways to suit your needs.  For example, if there is just one number you call constantly that you never want your number shown, you could modify the above to disable caller ID, automatically call that number and then reenable it.  You still only need to press "space bar" and "i".  

I can't speak highly enough of this application.  I for example have another macro I wrote that automatically sets the stopwatch timer to 29 minutes and 59 minutes which matches up with how long my washer and dryer take to finish. I have still another that automatically starts playing my favorite music playlist and then auto locks the screen so I can just hit one button and throw the phone into my pocket.  The music starts playing and I don’t have to worry about accidently hitting any buttons.  I can do all of these operations without even looking at the screen.  I have 26 macros in all, one for each letter of the alphabet.

You simply can't do that with a touch screen.  

Hope that helps Arimajer.

- Robbie

My Carrier: orange

Robbie, in one mail you have managed to explain and solve my issues clearly and correctly... The software peopel have sent me 4 emails with a script that only worked in part (doesn't bring back to original screen as yours does). so.. much appreciated and very impressed with yr knowledge of Macro language. just one more thing.. I access the app with the right convenience key (for some reason the space bar doesn't work) and it opens the main screen, though I have to press the track pad in order to view the apps and subsequently press the "i" to launch.. is there a way to go streight ot the app view by pressing the right convenience (or space) key?
New Contributor

Thanks Robert. I believe I do have the updated software, since I think it mentioned it on the box. I pressed the blackberry button, and the only apps on, where the ones that I have been using, so thats another reason why I believe the phone is running 7.1 OS.

Thanks Again

New Contributor

Is there a good app that can add battery life to my bold? I didn't get close to a busy phone day today, and my battery lasted only 9 hours. I checked my running apps, and they were normal, so I figured its just the battery that sucks a bit lol. Also, it seems like I have the latest software because I checked my phone for an update, and there were none available. Thanks for the help.
Contributor
My Carrier: T-Mobile

At what level do you keep your screen brightness? I keep mine at the lowest (10%) and also on auto dim...just a thought..i dunno, if you're fully charging the phone overnight,  you should get at least 12 hours with medium to heavy use 

Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Celcom

Does Bold 9900 has touch capability as well? As far as I hate about touch, I also need it to zoom browsers & pdfs.
Highlighted
Contributor
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Yes @albertlai, the Bold 9900 series is a qwerty device with a touch-screen