Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 ... again
My Carrier: Telekom

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

The time has come for me to leave this thread. Why? Apparently it's just a waste of time. Nothing will change. And, I don't really feel welcome.

So, I'll just stick to my 9900 and to that extent remain a convinced BlackBerry business user until a viable alternative hits the market.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: AT&T

i cant agree more with all comments. Had been waiting (as a staunch bb user) for the Q10. It's been a series of frustrations:
On top of everything mentioned
-it keeps updating the 10.10 software with every sync, like it never happened
-conficts in syncing, even after reinstalling all.
-complete lack of adequate updates from BB to fix all known issues.
It feels like they're all waiting to go out of business
HK
Contributor
My Carrier: EE (UK)

Oh, I can add a few lost features from the Bold:

No UMA internet calling

No list of forthcoming diary entries in the calendar agenda view

Return key delivers a text or bbm instead of  a new line of text (how daft is that?)

and of course the cut and paste is horrible.

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

rlkswan wrote:

Return key delivers a text or bbm instead of  a new line of text (how daft is that?)

This is inline to be added back, and there is currently a couple of very simple workarounds to add the hard return. Would you like that info?

This post.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Carrier: ATT

Robert,

You are spot on!  I can't imagine anyone who owned a Bold being happy with the Q10 as an "upgrade"!  I regret trading my Bold in for the $100 deal at ATT.

I am incredibly disappointed with this phone.  Keyboards work so well, one click and a definitive result. Gestures on the other hand (no pun intended) are so ambiguous, they often require you to do it several times to get the right result.  Most iPhone users simply do not realize how often they repeat gestures to get the correct action.  Blackberry totally screwed this one up!  All of the one handed ease from before is gone...  Replaced by a total sell out to the touch screen generation... Sad.

I am compiling a list of issues and will post it at a later date, but I saw your post and wanted to acknowledge it.  You are absolutely correct!

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900

I couldn't agree more about the Q10 - this is not a Blackberry in any meaningful sense of the name.  Text editing is virtually impossible without a trackpad, and the gestures are cumbersome in the extreme.  We need a physical trackpad and consistent function buttons that are available in every mode, app or context.  I have proposed two possible stop-gap to fixes for the existing OS 10 devices: the virtual "button belt" and "cursor keys".

VIRTUAL BUTTON BELT

By using a very simple and universal gesture or perhaps a side button or the spacebar, the user could call up a virtual represenation of classic "answer"," home", trackpad, "back" and "end" keys.  A swipe up from the bottom or an easy k/b combo seem like the most logical methods of invoking this interface.  A small "X" (close) button or  keypress/key combo could dismiss the button belt.

CURSOR KEYS

For starting and manipulating apps a touchscreen can get the job done in most cases, but text editing is a different story (and how BB Inc forgot this simple fact is beyond me).  For precision cursor manipulation we could borrow the WASD directional key paradigm from PC games, except it would be IJKL.  To invoke cursor keys, you would hold ALT and press Backspace (I don't think that's a shortcut already).  Then the I-J-K-L would be your directional control, which would allow you to hold SHIFT with your left hand to select text.  Pressing ALT-Backspace again would toggle off the cursor keys.

Obviously the first solution would be more elegant but if the devs felt that maintaining max screen real estate was more imoprtant I'd settle for IJKL.  The bottom line for most long-time BB users is that we need the cursor control and always-available functions that were provided by the physical buttons and trackpad.  Otherwise a Blackberry is no better than a Droid Pro or NEC Terrain - in fact, either of those phones is probably a superior option at this point in time.  Blackberry Inc needs to swallow its pride and deliver what its long-time users need or they'll find someone else who will.

Contributor

since there has been zero but absolutely zero input/feedback/solution from Blackberry so far, i'm trying to get issues posted in the WSJ to get someone's attention.  

[ Edited ]

HK01 wrote:

since there has been zero but absolutely zero input/feedback/solution from Blackberry so far, i'm trying to get issues posted in the WSJ to get someone's attention.  

HK01, if you read this thread, the original poster and others have asked specifically that THIS thread be kept free for listing of complaints whether founded or unfound, and opinions on why those users are returning to the Bold 9900. It has been specifically asked NOT to post assistance, feedback and solutions in this thread.

Many solutions, feedback, workaround and tips, which in many cases resolve some issues, have been posted in other threads. If you have specific questions, please either post your own thread, or search this Q10 forum. I know I've posted many, myself.

As far as from BlackBerry, what you state is just not true, and perhaps you just haven't seen it. For this Forum itself: This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. You would have noticed this in the message upon registration.

I doubt BlackBerry employees will answer you in the WSJ either... they haven't made a habit of that in the past.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900

I would request that "J Saunders" pass on our constructive ideas for improvement, particularly if he's related to Alec Smiley Wink

Yeah, its hard to penetrate the echo chamber that monlithic companies build around themselves, and RIM was/is one of the worst in this regard.  If they paid attention they'd see really quick that no Blackberry user ever asked for something just like an iPhone.  All we wanted was a faster, more powerful, more stable and more flexible Blackberry - a real Blackberry.  Half of the functions on OS 7 are hidden behind secret codes: even the iPhone offers more to power users!  I was so put off by the Q10 that I didn't spend enough time to discover if that had changed, honestly.  I did discover that the Q10 boots even slower than my Bold 9900 (??!!) and that the peek and hub gestures need completely reworked (or eliminated).  I discovered that OS 10 has less info available a glance, requiring more drilling down than ever before.  After that I just shook my head and walked away.  Will they wise up before its too late?  I'm really not optimistic, particularly when their firing a bunch of R&D people in Waterloo, but we can definatly keep making noise in hopes somebody finally takes notice.  At this point I'm just praying for a manufactuer to put out a GSM Android device with k/b and d-pad.  I've think there may be a Samsung you can get like this but I'm not certain.

[ Edited ]

bleakberry, I am not related, and that's Alex's loss, for sure!

We don't even spell our names the same, perhaps you overlooked that little fact as well.

So, if now you're going to make all this personal and start flaming and attacking me, let me stop you here.

Knowledge Base Updates