Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Highlighted
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

trevorcroft wrote:

these are the people blackberry should have been talking to for about the last 4 years when EVERY decision they made was the wrong one.

I agree these type users should have been targeted for user-research and functions for BB10.

I disagree that EVERY devicision was a wrong one. There's so much about the BlackBerry10 OS that works great, I'd never say throw the entire OS in the trash.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

JSanders wrote:

I agree these type users should have been targeted for user-research and functions for BB10.

I disagree that EVERY devicision was a wrong one. There's so much about the BlackBerry10 OS that works great, I'd never say throw the entire OS in the trash.

You're right, they made a few good decisions, but the size of their wrong ones were so staggering that it's hard to see the good ones, or if the good ones will ultimately be big enough to save the company.

I really do like BB10, I think it's an incredible foundation, but it's too limiting right now, things I bet Blackberry isn't even aware of.  

Perhaps I don't know how to use it most efficiently yet, but I find the hub takes away from the amazing multitasking abilities of BB10... for example, let's say I navigated to BBM through the hub, and then I begin to compose a new BBM, and start typing it, but then I realize I want to copy and paste some text out of an email to that person, to get to that email I have to click back, back, back to get to the hub, then drill into my email and find the email, copy the text, back back back, then drill into BBM, oh now guess what, that half written message is gone, but even if it were still there this workflow is so much less efficient than it used to be on the bold 9900.

Contributor
My Device: Q 10
My Carrier: idea

Yes I agree BlackBerry 10 is one platform with great potential ..but transforming without taking the basics to next level is what almost killed it..in Japan they say KAIZEN which means continuous improvement..in india we say..not all old is bad and not all new is good..a good company / product becomes great by continuous accumulation of goods...while on this try going back midway from a pps / ppt attachment..you have to take a city round if you just left home and want to pick up that imp thing...still 10.2 is rolling out too slow..

trevorcroft wrote:

oh now guess what, that half written message is gone, but even if it were still there this workflow is so much less efficient than it used to be on the bold 9900.

nope, the half-written BBM message remains intact, waiting for you to complete or send.

Sorry, I find that very efficient, that I can swipe backwards once, search the email, open it, copy the text, close it, swipe up to the incomplete BBM, and insert.

Seven steps...  Would have been half that if you'd copied the appropriate text to begine with, but I too sometimes have half thoughts, have to backup and start over. BlackBerry can't help me when I have brain farts and make mistakes of my own. You shouldn't expect them to do so.

It would have been the same number of steps in legacy BBOS.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates

hmsingh wrote:
.while on this try going back midway from a pps / ppt attachment..you have to take a city round if you just left home and want to pick up that imp thing..

You're using pps/ppt attachments for mapping and directions? Whoa, that is slow.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

JSanders wrote:

It would have been the same number of steps in legacy BBOS.

It's less steps on the 9900... on the 9900 I use the blackberry key like alt-tab on windows, so... I can skip between apps much easier than EMAIL in the hub (BBM, whatsapp and SMS all have their own apps and can be accessed via a swipe up).   Email seems to be the only thing that cannot be run on its own, and its limiting and time consuming when you jump around... I am scatter brained so I jump around a TON and I have 5 different email accounts that I'm always hopping through...  If I do a search in one email account and then want to go to another email account I have to cancel that search before I get to the other email account, so then if I want to come back to that search I have to re-search...

I don't know why they don't give me an icon for each email account like they used to, I only find not having the email icons / apps limiting.

You already have those tabs for each email account in your hub.

As far as the searching, if you had searched one message icon for an email, you would still need to close that icon and go to the next.

Using the Hub, just search all email accounts for the email, no need to duplicate the search.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: vodacom

I'm not a "power user", but have loved and owned Blackberries from the start. I currently have the 9900, which i absolutely love using. I'm due for a change, but with all the hype around BB's downward spiral, I have started doing some research to inform myself more adequately on what phone to buy next.

My finding thus far are

1. Blackberry won't die overnight, so a Blackberry device is still a viable choice
  2. The Q10 has great reviews, so it is a viable choice, but
  3. My 9900 is likely to serve me better for now, given that a move to the Q10, although a faster/better OS etc, is a step down compared with the 9900.

So, i will resist the "buy" signals and postpone my purchase decision for as long as my 9900 holds up, and until the Q10 meets and suprpasses the basic functionality of the 9900 that i hold in such high regard.

Here's hoping that the Samsung and iPhone marketing machine don't catch my eye before then.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Q20 Classic, Q10, PlayBook*1
My Carrier: EE UK for Q10/20

Stuman,

I have been apprehensive on the capability of the Q10 (using for 4 months now), and have to say that it is a very different step change from the 9900; having said that, I am using the Q10 far more than the 9900, and when my 9900 comes to be replaced (2 on contract), I will in all likelihood upgrade to Q10 (Q30???).

Be bold - go for it
Contributor
My Device: 9900

Today's news is just the start of the downward spiral of Blackberry.  It is a sad day as I have always love my Blackberry units.  This is what happens when you forget what your customer base is and fail to innovate.  Time to migrate all my phones over to the iPhone as I watch Blackberry go the way of the Palm Treo. 

Sad Sad Day....