Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: MTN South Africa

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

JSanders wrote:
augusts, "Smth arnd" what language is this?

keithfowleruk, multiple icons to your email? One swipe to the Hub works. Or use the Hub icon for direct access.
If you truly intend to smash it with a hammer, I'll give you $50 USD for it, unharmed.

Whahahaha!! Brilliant! Although I'm not the Q10's biggest fan, I would also pay $50 for it.

I think I expressed my hatred towards the Q10 plenty of times, but I'm slowly but surely getting used to it. I just upgraded to the latest firmware from Crackberry, made a bit of a difference too (still checking out the differences).

There is and will always be certain things I can't get used to, like the touch navigation and lack of old BB logic. The rest of the phone truly is amazing. I was just telling someone today, with old BB's, you could "right click" (hit the BB button) and all the logical "next steps" are right there. With the Q10 there are some useful icons, but not always as logical as with the old. I'm sure if we start pointing them out BB would bring them back. BUT, that said, the OS10 is still light years better than Android. I'm still considering an upgrade to iPhone 5s (5s is the one with biometrics etc right?), but this is mainly due to its excellent voice commands. But again, that being said, I was truly amazed when my BB after the last upgrade could understand my wife's name (I chose real English (UK) during setup, perhaps that made the difference). But the BB's voice dialing takes ages to "think" what you meant and do processing etc where the iPhone does it on the fly. If BB can get voice dialing 100% right and as quick as iPhone, I'll be the happiest BB user!

One new problem (actually an old returning issue) after the upgrade is my contacts. I'm syncing with my Google Apps account, and plenty of my contacts sync'd the phone number entries with a preceding "Phone Number:" . So If I wish to call eg Herman Venter, his mobile number would be saved as this: "Phone Number: 082 123 1234". Offcourse no phone will recognise this. Funny thing is I fixed this on all my regular contacts, and I was expecting my BB to update my Google account with the updated contact info. But it never did that, so I now have to redo all my contacts again.

To add to the above, I today tried copying and pasting the number just so I could quickly dial someone (while driving offcourse!). I managed to copy the "Phone Number: 082 123 1234" (using both hands whilst using my knee to steer), then pasted it in the phone app. I then wanted to scroll to the left so I could remove the "Phone Number: " prefix, but noted it was impossible to scroll left or right in the phone app. (JSanders, please tell your BB colleages to fix this! Smiley Wink jk). I ended up flipping between contacts and phone app so I could manually type in the number. And yes, I know I should probably be able to remember the entire number and just type it from memmory, but when you're in a hurry and frustrated with technology, you can't remember.

But all and all, I'm a happier OS10 user after the upgrade, should have done it long time ago!

Enjoy!

Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64 GB (used on Wi-Fi); 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile-US (for 9900)

Another reason for keeping the Bold 9900 as my device -- a Feb 5th post on CrackBerry. There's three pages of comments, with a lot more info; the last comment was on Friday, Feb 7th:

Security Notice: 10.2.1 lets Android apps access contacts even if policy disables this
There's more details in this thread on CrackBerry, but the key issue is clear:

"A news today came out that 10.2.1.537 has a bug where when the policy is set for apps to not allow access to the address data, any Android app can still access it.

BlackBerry said they know about it and will be issuing an update...

In German: Peinliches Loch in BlackBerrys Geschäftsdaten-Tresor | heise online

Kind regards,

GeorgeB

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

That was referring to BES connected devices.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64 GB (used on Wi-Fi); 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile-US (for 9900)

John_Clark,

Thanks for the quick response.

While the vulnerability may be only in regard to BES use, it still is a significant vulnerability !!!

It should be remedied quickly, without having to wait for the cellular operators to post a new update for their customers...many have been using the 'leaked' updates, which are very nice.

And it surely doesn't make me comfortable, a BlackBerry user for better than 13 years and before the first cellular BlackBerry. Don't expect that the 'explanation' of only BES users makes the rest of us (non-BES users) comfortable...BlackBerry's claim and a significant advantage is it's security.

Hope that there's a quick response, both here and on CrackBerry, with a fix that we don't have to wait on cellular operators for.

BTW, I've been looking around for a company that provides hosted BES, so that I can get some experience with Q10 BES. If you have a suggestion, I'd appreciate your suggestion: please let me know, either in the thread or by direct message.

Thanks again, and kind regards,

GeorgeB

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

If it's on your own device you can choose not to install the app or disable permissions to contact list. That's why it applies only to BES connected devices. The BES administration wants to prevent that app from accessing corporate contacts on the "work" side of BlackBerry Balance. Most likely the app won't run or won't run properly without access. It's not a security issue for personal users as you decide yourself if you want it to access contacts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10, All BlackBerry Bolds
My Carrier: O2

Hi there Nate Why are you leaving Blackberry? I have had Android, Apple and Blackberry and I can say that BlackBerry 10 is by far the best out of all of them especially texting, emailing and internet. It has the fastest Internet out of all of them. My friends phones struggle to get connection in some places whereas me with my Z10 still have a good connection. If you are going to do a lot of texting BlackBerry is best by far. If you are going to switch from BlackBerry to anything else I recommend iPhone 5s because it is just as smooth as BlackBerry. Android however gets very laggy like the old BlackBerries after a while and will annoy you. iPhone might get laggy when you upgrade iOS but nowhere near as laggy as Android but BlackBerry 10 doesn't gets laggy. Samsung breaks easily, trust me I have a lot of experience in breaking Samsung, one drop in the wrong able with a Samsung and boom the screen is shattered because of its cheap plastic. Apple is better than Samsung in quality hardware and software. iPhone 5s has 120fps camera unlike any other phone which all have 30fps. If you really want a samsung though I recommend Note 3 because it is much better in quality than S4 and because of its power it will be much smoother than S4 and won't lag over time. Hope this helps
Developer
My Device: Q5
My Carrier: Cosmote

Hi guys! Well to my mind blackberry is doing a really great job. First of all I would also like to say that I am familiar with both android and Ios and because I have a taste of what is going on I am going to stick with blackberry. Sure it might have some problems. But they get fixed over time don't forget that bb10 has not been out as lond as android and ios has and still it's a great competitor. And don't forget that it has all those great features like hub that I personally couldn't live without!
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10, All BlackBerry Bolds
My Carrier: O2

The hub is amazing I coudn't live without it. But yeah it is true that BlackBerry 10 is only in its first year now and look at how bad iPhone and Android were in their first year. BlackBerry 10 is doing great in it's first year.
Super Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Classic
My Carrier: Bite

Three questions:
1. Why it does not associate email contacts with you address book? For instance I have a contact mike mike@mike.lv but once I receive an email from him it doesnt associate with this contact and asks whether I want to add this contact to address book? maybe solver on 10.2.1?
2. Pressing R or L to an email I start typing but it doesnt write that, I have to click first and only then can actually reply. Can this be solved?
3. How can I get more ringtones, etc for the bb10?
Super Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Classic
My Carrier: Bite

And another one: it shows alarm in the calendar agenda view, how can disable this to not to show in calendar?