Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 ... again
My Carrier: Telekom

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

Kosten: I may not be the right person to answer your question. On the one jand, I have had BlackBerrys moving from me, to wife, to son, to daughter so that the average age of the phone was 4 years at daughter level. Aside from that, I myself was caught in the marketing machinery put into the media by BlackBerry. A bad decision, as I have painfully experienced. But, I also must see that BlackBerry just didn't honestly prrovide the necessary information towards a product so far away from prior policy. While moving from the wheel to the track ball to the track pad, the system izself always remained stable with a certain degree of innovation. Q10/OS10 is just to revolutionary, disregarding the needs of the past target groups.

I will have to stick to my 9900, probably until the bitter end ... I have learned enough and will never be so gullible again.
New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

Dear Kosten,

I myself moved to the Q10 after the much hype created by Blackberry around this specific model (I had no interest in the touchscreen-only Z10), as well, my phone provider (ROGERS in Canada) provides me with free upgrades every 3-years to any phone I want within their arsenal. (My avarage cellphone bill per month with them is $700.00 - $1100.00 per month!)

My local ROGERS store also provide me with additional hype at the time I went in to discuss this supposed upgrade to the Q10. They are now in the process of taking this Q10 back and providing me with a brand new Bold 9900.

Lesson learned? Never buy a new car (or cellphone) without a road test first. it's just too important a tool for me to not get it right!

Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Actually, I can be even more specific than that in my case.  As much as I like the 9900, it does have some issues.  Chief among them was the poor web browser rendering and lack of available apps.  I was hoping the Android emulation layer provided by QNX would increase the available apps for the platform.  Beyond this, the 9900 does have a tendency to require battery pulls due to exhibiting very strange behavior after running for a few days to a week.  I was hoping they had also corrected those issues with the new device.  

Ultimately, I saw the Q10 as an evolutionary device that would improve on that solid platform they already had.  I did understand intellectually that they built the new platform from the ground up and that there would be growing pains as a result, but I was not prepared for completely different direction they took that platform as they created it.

So for me, it wasn't about being an early adopter per say but rather to try to fix the few issues that did exist with the device I was already using.

- Robbie

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: ATT

Oh Blackberry, what have you done?

I'm with you Robert on returning to the 9900.  In fact, my Q10 was returned to  ATT today and my new 9900 (my previous one died from abuse) arrives tomorrow.  (Is it possible to see my sigh of relief online)?

The last straw was last night when Blackberry told me to buy a developer's program to link to another program to link to another to sync my business calendar.  SORRY?  And whilst the hub is a great idea, functionally it is a speed-reducer.  It's a time waster, not a time saver.  I have separate emails for distinct reasons.  I have thinks I want to keep separate in order not to confuse my 'inbox' and my time.

My BB is used for my sole-person business, my teaching jobs and emergency situations (daily and without notice) for a chronically-ill child.  I need the trackpad and my 5 quick go-to functions of the phone to get me from A-Z with the least time.  The hub of the Q10 not only makes this less simple (and most definitely less objective and practical) to use, but it's a whole load of screen swipes and time delay from what I need in one place.

A friend of mine literally has a 'life-saving' job for which she needs her blackberry.  She is on-call 24-7 arranging life-saving medical care and addressing emergencies.  The Q10 cannot give her the fast-paced, functional core that she needs...and when I say time means lives, in her case, I mean it.  She's hanging on to her 9900 for dear life (sorry about the pun).

My husband has always loved his blackberry.  It has been essential for him - businessman, world traveller, always working and on-call.  When he got his first blackberry I was convinced he'd fallen in love with it more than me (not sure whether that has changed)!  HOWEVER, he is now unable to use Blackberry.  Why?  The Q10 and Z10 do not have the security features that will allow him to work securely with the information he has to handle and the massive  firm for which he works, has had to transfer everyone to iphone (WHICH HE (and everyone else) HATES) and have said they cannot support the new BB Os..

The 9900 has some very well-known glaring faults:  slow browser (I am BEYOND SICK of checkboards...anyone else?),  the charger point (which is very weak in terms of how sturdy it is), and the screen real estate (as you fancy tecchies like to say....the rest of us will happily go with 'screen size').  In terms of additional apps....yes I know many of you like the ability to choose between zillions of them, but I'm more in need of a workhorse with power and the 9900 gives that.

There are, of course, other faults with the 9900 that more stringent business users find frustrating.  No need to list them here as I know many others have already done this. However, compared to the ill-thought out Q10, it's a dream.

I always think of computer programmers and heavy computer users when trying to make an analogy regarding phones:

Why is it that computer programmers and REAL solid business users use key strokes (think of the old DOS system and Wordperfect for the archaic end-users like me) and swift codes?  They use them because they get to the core of what is needed, and quickly (just like the 9900).  When MS Word came out, I thought (and still think) that these little drop down boxes and pretty icons are more geared to the 'fluff'' user:  the person who has time (or lack of knowledge) to move between icons, choose a picture, grab another box, etc, etc.  This translates to cell phones just the same.  For example:  The Samsung Galaxy 4?  Very fragrant little phone if you want to choose between bubble gum pink dialog boxes or pale blue or yellow (for your text messages)...but I DON'T NEED THAT!  I don't want or need to have thirty-five thousand wake-up tunes for my phone alarm clock and the ability to have a disco-ball app on my work phone (oh yes...believe me..it's on there).

The 9900 is a business phone and serious phone for those cell phone users who don't necessarily need to tweet all day long as a method of communicating with their next-door neighbor.  The Q10 has fallen (unfortunately) into the trap of working with the 'fluff' aspect of the market rather than the serious user.

If the 9900 gets a much faster browser and added functionality (with a little larger screen) without losing its essential characteristics:  Blackberry - YOU WILL HAVE THE PERFECT PHONE!  ANYONE LISTENING BLACKBERRY?

One last thing...I used to work for the world's 4 largest cell phone company in all international markets.  Guess what we all used for work and play?  Yep:  Blackberry.  Every 3 months, we would all have to pick three customer numbers (picked 'blind') and contact them to ask a)  what are we doing right, b) what are we doing wrong, c) what do we need to do to keep your business and what do YOU as a consumer want to see from us?  Well I feel this is where Blackberry has just got it wrong.  The emphasis has been on the company's developers trying to compete with and out-do the leisure-user brands (targeting a trendier and over-saturated market) and diverting from the essential business-core that has been its main appeal for many years.  They've not asked us (the long-term BB user) what we needed, or what we thought.  I'm not a fuddy-duddy, ancient, wrinkled grandma who doesn't want the extras; but I'm certainly a heavy user of what have always been the Blackberry essentials and Blackberry has dropped the ball in ensuring that our needs have been met in the Q10.

So, I'm getting my 9900 tomorrow and will be saying my prayers tonight that the 'powers that be' at Blackberry swallow their pride, realize they made a really big marketing and directional mistake, and produce a 9900 for the future.  ANYONE LISTENING BB?

Super Contributor
My Carrier: AT&T

I don't understand the messages in this thread.

I am a longtime BlackBerry user and we bought 2 of the Q10s. We could not be more pleased.

. . . . . Pete
Contributor
My Device: Q10 and back again to 9900 Bold
My Carrier: CHINA MOBILE

Pete, if it works for you, that's great! It's the rest of us that have problems with the logic and execution behind the Q10. And while we are on the subject, let me ask again: (1) any ideas why my notes in "Remember" disappeared just a few days after I spent some time to type them in? Where is the data hiding anyway? It's important... And (2) what ever happened to several thousand messages from my mailboxes that took some days to download and then a few more days to mark as read (...)?? I only have some random 2 to 4 month history in my several mailboxes all of the sudden... Now if you have the answer Pete then please share! If not, then you are a step closer to understanding why with the lack of the control buttons and the track pad we feel completely powerless when dealing with this phone. The 9970 was a perfect balance between a touch screen and the proper keyboard we all learned to appreciate. Don't get me wrong, this is not a message for Pete - I need your help/ideas because am stuck here... Best, John.
Super Contributor
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Torch 9810

mdbd wrote:
Oh Blackberry, what have you done?

The last straw was last night when Blackberry told me to buy a developer's program to link to another program to link to another to sync my business calendar.  SORRY?

I bought a Q10 on the weekend because my 9810 slider cable failed..... I just dropped $100 to have the 9810 cable fixed.  Outlook 2007 calender sync is essential for me.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook; Bold9900 4G; Z10LLTE
My Carrier: Bell

Perhaps I can help. When you make a telephone call, the return key will make the connection. No key will end the call. You cannot hit a button on the home screen to make a call. For hundreds of Q10's the "End Call" does not work. Email personalities are not permitted. The range of keyboard alternatives to do shortcuts is very limited. In simple terms, they keyboard types, it doesn't operate. For those of us who want a telephone and an email machine, the Q10 is consistently slower and more cumbersome than the 99XX series by measurable differences. That is not progress. If I wanted a touch screen general use device I would use my Samsung Note 2. These complaints/concerns are from phone-email business users mostly with long term loyalty to Blackberry.
New Contributor
My Carrier: Globe

KOSTEN, 

THERE COMES TO POINT WHERE YOUR PHONE STARTS TO FAIL U DUE TO WEAR AND TEAR. MEANING ITS SERVICE HAS BEEN SO LONG THAT IT NEEDS REPLACEMENT.  

I SPEAK FOR MYSELF WHERE IN I HAVE TO CHANGE OR UPGRADE MY FONE SINCE ITS STARTS TO BECOME SLOW AFTER SERVING ME FOR MORE THAN 2 AND A HALF YEARS. AND SINCE I HEARD THAT BB OS COMING UP WITH A NEW AND BOLDER KEYBOARD TYPE DEVICE. WELL IT GAVE US THE IMPRESSION THAT IT WILL BE WAY BETTER THAN THE 9900 I HAVE. 

ITS NOT JUST BECAUSE WE WANT AN UPGRADE AND STARTED TO COMPLAIN AFTER PURCHASE.

WHAT WE ARE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH HERE IS THAT WE WANT BB RIM TO HEAR US OUT SO THAT THEY CAN ADOPT TO OUR REQUESTS. BB IS THE ONLY PHONE LEFT ( ESP 9900) WHO CAN DO WHAT WE EXPECT OUR FONES TO DO.  NO I PHONE AND SAMSUNG OR ANY ADROID CAN MATCH WHAT MY 9900 IS DOING FOR US  (CONTRIBUTORS TO THIS FORUM) ...

WE ARE NOT COMPLAINING, WE ARE SIMPLY SHARING WHAT WE  WERE EXPECTING AND WHAT WE ARE MISSING IN THE NEW Q10. ( AGAIN I CAN ONLY SPEAK ABOUT THE Q10 AND NOT THE Z10 SINCE IM A KEYBOARD PERSON)

OUR LOGIC HERE IS IF WE DONT CARE ABOUT BB'S FUTURE, THE HELL WITH THIS FORUM . BUUT AT THE END OF THE DAY WHAT WE WANT IS FOR BB RIM TO REALIZE THIS MISTAKES AND MAKE EFFORT TO CHANGE IT FOR THE FEW ( I DNT KNOW HOW MANY PERCENT) LKE US WHO STILL ARE HAPPY WITH THE OLD KEYBOARD SET UP. 

AGAIN I DONT CALL THIS COMPLAINS BUT SIMPLY A WAY TO REACH OUT TO OTHER UNHAPPY BUYERS AND FOR BB TO HEAR US OUT> 

THAT IS IF BB WILL STILL RECOVER .

New Contributor
My Carrier: Globe

HI, 

SPEED DIAL. 

CONTACT SEARCH

END CALL BUTTON DURING CALLS.

JUST SOME OF TOPICS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT IN THIS FORUM........