Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 9900

Moriarty, to save an incoming caller's number to your address book, tap and hold on that number and then touch the "add to contacts" icon. You'll be able to choose a new contact or search an existing contact to add that number to. 

To check call history of a contact, similarly tap & hold on that call log entry and yap the icon with the (i) on the right side pop-up. 

If you have further use questions, feel free to create a new thread of your own in this #Q10 forum section so as to not disturb the discontent of this this thread. Many of here are happy to use our time to help. 

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: EE (UK)

I was very happy with all my BlackBerry phones up until my BlackBerry Torch which was a heavy clunky lump and not a patch on my old Bold that preceded it. The Q10 is in many ways the leap forward I wanted back then but sadly in every dream home there is a heartache. I miss a lot of the things mentioned here many times but it's much better machine generally with a superior processor and probably the best keyboard on any phone to date. I don't mind the lack of trackpad now but there are still plenty of things that could be improved. As an example the lack of BIS is one aspect that is certainly a step backwards in my opinion.
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic

Add me to the list.

I purchased a Q10 two weeks ago (glad I waited some months before making the switch as they're on model #5 now apparently). I kept my Bold 9900 activated and just used the Q10 on WiFi network only just to test it out. It took me 7 days to kind of get used to the swipe gestures, and then I fully activated the phone (moved the phone number to it). Another week in, and I'm so torn. I really WANT to love the Q10, but I'm finding many kinks.

OS10 just feels slow compared to OS7 overall. Search was MUCH faster on the 9900. Aside from the random annoying spinning clock, things came up quickly and felt snappier overall. But with the Q10, there's a 2-3 second delay when pulling up search results. Really irritating.

For example, as I write this post, I have my Bold 9900 and Q10 in front of me and just did a comparison to see which device was faster when trying to find a contact from the home screen. The Q10 had to "think" first before it brought up the results. Whereas the 9900 had them up the moment I typed the last letter.

Cursor placement is my biggest gripe. I get so frustrated trying to bring up and accurately place the cursor somewhere. It now takes me 7-10 seconds on average just to place the cursor somewhere. And I must use two hands now when doing it. If I try to use my thumb, it blocks me from seeing where the cursor is. So I must hold the phone in my left hand and use right index finger to see the cursor. With the Bold it was so much faster/easier and could do it with one hand.

I also find that the phone Answer/End buttons are problematic. When I press them it doesn't always register. I now have to double and triple-check the screen to make sure that phone calls have been properly ended. REALLY missing being able to quickly end calls without staring at the screen.

Battery life overall is worse compared to the Bold. I now have to charge the phone by early evening every day. My Bold could stay on (even showing 0% battery left) for 2.5/3 days!!

Also having issues getting the speaker phone to work. Sometimes I have to press the speakerphone icon several times in order for it to activate!

I'm so torn. Liking the core OS update & apps, and the keyboard is fantastic, but my productivity is still slower overall now. And no more full one-handed operation. Many things now require two hands to use.

I have 10 more days to return the Q10 to T-Mobile within the 30 day window. I think I'm going to switch my phone number back to my 9900 this week and continue playing with the Q10 more, and then make a decision.

It's not looking good through. Don't know where I'll go next if I leave Blackberry after all these years. As a power user, I HATE all touch screen only phones…

Contributor
My Device: Q 10
My Carrier: idea

i felt like a **bleep** initially when i could not find comfort on Q10 moving up from 9900

the stress on Q10 features totally disregards what a phone is meant to be

you cannot use quick dial without being on dialler screen

you cannot make low resolution videos to send across quickly as not all networks are fast and why waste so much of nedia transfer as is a misuse of resorce as well

you cannot make groups to send in one shot to broadcast a text or a mail

you cannot simply save a message in something like a saved messages folder

you cannot merge the device and media card pics and video to use seamlessly

in short blackberry has dug its coffin by overhyping and undersupporting 

can be a face saver if they can offer os 7 to people who wish to keep moving

i have several instances of biz associates telling that is all well as you arer no more as prompt as you were untill a few days ago

hm singh chandigarh india

hmsingh, actually some of what you list is available.

If you wish to create a new thread on those issues, I'd be glad to discuss and advise.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: Q 10
My Carrier: idea

i will be more than happy for a resolution and you cud advise by mail or byy a video call if possible with your rersources at command

hmsingh wrote:
i will be more than happy for a resolution and you cud advise by mail or byy a video call if possible with your rersources at command

Just create a thread here in the forums for your specific issues. I won't be doing personal one on one tech support on video calls, email, etc.

Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Using Unlocked Passport, VZW Classic, Two Z10's, Playbook, Q10
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless, AT&T MVNO Consumer Cellular

You might consider that you got a defective Q10. Many of your issues are NOT normal. The Q10 is much faster at things like search. Also, some people do have problems with touch screens in general, your body chemistry or whatever it is might contribute to that.

John Hanks
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic

[ Edited ]

Add this to my list that I just posted last night. But this is a deal breaker for me.

I tried to setup a simple conference call by adding two more callers to an existing call. Something I used to be able to do on my Bold and previous Blackberries very easily.

For whatever reason, none of my contacts are showing up when you search for contacts from the phone app. But they're in the Contacts main app. They just don't appear in the phone.

Needless to say I had to end the call and call everyone back using my landline. A quick Google search yields many other complaints about this random issue for many people.

I can't deal with this. Taking the Q10 back Friday. 

Upset, sad, not happy.

UPDATE: 

I think I found a way to fix the quirk with the contacts. But it takes a long time and I have to do it frequently.

If contacts do not appear in the Phone app, minimize the phone app, go to Contacts, and wait about 15 seconds for the contact list to re-generate. When it does, go back to the phone app, and you should be able to find contacts from the phone app to add.

My contacts disappear at random and I must do this step to re-generate the list. Don't know what the h*** is going on with the Q10.

Yeah, that confirms it. Going back today. Smiley Mad

geminiman7 wrote:

A quick Google search yields many other complaints about this random issue for many people.

I just did a quick google search of the Loch Ness monster, Sasquatch and the Easter Bunny... hundreds and thousands of people reporting sightings.

I am not having that issue on my Q10 making conference calls. My contact appear from within my phone app quite swiftly. I wonder, what is the source of your contacts. Are they local to the Q10 or syncing from Gmail or Yahoo?

Knowledge Base Updates