Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic and Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

accents appearing on an "e" and an "a" when typing in English

I have noticed that when typing in English on my Q10, I occasionally get an acute accent on the "e" of "the" or other words with an "e" at the end. Also occasionally a grave accent on an "a" when the letter "a" appears in isolation as in "a person".

My language is set to automatic, and the two languages I have entered for automatic spelling correction are English and French.

Does anyone have any idea why this should be happening?

PJCMoray
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Q10

Re: accents appearing on an "e" and an "a" when typing in English

Disconnect "automatically detect languages " and try to switch languages using alt+enter, it should solve the problem.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Passport SQW100-3 • Z10 STL100-3 • PlayBook 32G
My Carrier: AT&T

PJCMoray wrote:

I have noticed that when typing in English on my Q10, I occasionally get an acute accent on the "e" of "the" or other words with an "e" at the end. Also occasionally a grave accent on an "a" when the letter "a" appears in isolation as in "a person".

My language is set to automatic, and the two languages I have entered for automatic spelling correction are English and French.

Does anyone have any idea why this should be happening?

I'm set up the very same way on my Z10, and am having the same situation when best prediction suggests e's and a's  in words such as "the" and "that" which don't even exist in the French language...needs to be corrected.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Classic and Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Switching off the automatic language detection function in order to cure this error in the function, hardly seems like an appropriate solution.

I would like to hear from BlackBerry whether they are aware of this issue and what they propose to do about it!

PJCMoray