Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus / Rogers / At&t

warranty information

how do I find if my phone is under warranty?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: warranty information

Hello,

You must ask the party from whom you bought the device. Warranty is serviced by the seller to you of the device. If they are authorized, you may indeed have warranty. If they are not authorized...well, then you have no warranty.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply.  Does BB provide any information whether a device is covered by the manufacturer warranty?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Nope...warranty is a contractual matter between buyer and seller. BB extends their standard coverage for purchases made via the authorized reseller channels, but all warranty is serviced by those resellers (and sometimes service centers). Warranty is determined at time of purchase, as a part of that purchase contract.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

so, how does one go about getting support for a BlackBerry product that was not purchased through an authorized reseller?

Hall of Famer III

Warranty support for a hardware problem? You don't...you don't have any warranty from BB under those purchase conditions. So, you must seek out a local (to you) shop with a qualified BB hardware technician. Take it to them and have them give you an evaluation and estimate.

New Contributor

What about software support, still third party?  Seems odd to me that BB does not offer any support for their devices directly. 

Hall of Famer III

Hmmm..."software support"...that can mean so many different things...

If you would completely spell out your issue, perhaps we can guide you. By letting out so little actual information, always starting your questions with a presumption of the answer, it's a little bit difficult to understand your situation and thereby provide you with useful guidance.

As for what seems odd...that only comes from yet another presumption. It is what it is...neither right nor wrong...it just is.

New Contributor

I was simply looking for information on what I can expect from BlackBerry.  I understand that it is what it is.  I was asking a general question on warranty, as I did not know it.

I am not really sure if what I am experiencing is an issue with my device, or just the functionality of the software.  it would be great to speak with a BB Technician, which is why I asked if there was a warranty associated, be it hardware or telephone support.  I also sincerely appreciate any help you or anyone else can offer here.

I switched from a Bold 9900 to a Q10 recently, and am finding real performance issues with email.  It takes a very long time for emails to appear on my device.  I setup an exchange, and a hotmail account on my device.  I used to receive emails on my Bold instantly, but this is not the case with the Q10.  I find it very slow to receive emails.  I press on an email, try to delete it, but it does not delete.  I've wiped the device, and reloaded the email, but it still acts slow.

Hall of Famer III

Scirocco53 wrote:

I was simply looking for information on what I can expect from BlackBerry.  I understand that it is what it is.  I was asking a general question on warranty, as I did not know it.

And I think I answered each one...as best I could, from the information you provided. Maybe this will be more helpful:

Scirocco53 wrote:

I am not really sure if what I am experiencing is an issue with my device, or just the functionality of the software.  it would be great to speak with a BB Technician, which is why I asked if there was a warranty associated, be it hardware or telephone support.  I also sincerely appreciate any help you or anyone else can offer here.

Well, as you discovered via the above link, BB provides zero front line support for free. All front line support starts with the reseller, the carrier, or an authorized service center...depending on specific issue and/or purchase channel and/or root cause of the issue. Not knowing anything more than what you provided, specific answers are rather impossible to provide, especially given the complexity of the support model. Such is actually one of the reasons that a strong user-to-user support community has arisen...to try and help folks figure out the proper path to follow, and perhaps even help them resolve issues without having to navigate those paths.

In your situation, if the issue is anything other than a service provider (carrier) issue, then you truly have zero formal support available. Your method of purchase means that you have no access to any free formal support channels at all. Access to those channels is reserved for those who purchase via the authorized channels. If you truly want to talk to a BB technician, then the link I provided above includes a link to the method for obtaining fee-based support from a BB technician.

Scirocco53 wrote:

I switched from a Bold 9900 to a Q10 recently, and am finding real performance issues with email.  It takes a very long time for emails to appear on my device.  I setup an exchange, and a hotmail account on my device.  I used to receive emails on my Bold instantly, but this is not the case with the Q10.  I find it very slow to receive emails.  I press on an email, try to delete it, but it does not delete.  I've wiped the device, and reloaded the email, but it still acts slow.

What method is the email account integrated? EAS? POP? IMAP? Does the server support Push? If so, did you configure for Push? Or is the configuration on your device one of the device polling at an interval for new items? If so, what interval did you select when you configured it?

You must remove expectations as to how things worked with legacy devices...BB10 is totally different. For example, legacy required BIS in order to have email. BB10 does not use BIS, and instead has a full on-device email client, which controls how email is retrieved from the server based on how you configure the on-device client.