Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q5

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q5
My Carrier: Videotron

Blackberry Q5 not lockign while in Holster

I bought a new Q5 2 weeks ago and also purchased a holsted (horizontal with belt clip).

I previously had a Curve 9100 with the same king of horizontal holster and when I was putting my BB device in the holster, the screen was automatically turning off and the device locked (password protected).

But now with my new Q5, nothing happens when I put it in the holster.

the device screen stays on and it is not locking.

Obviously I put the setting to have it locked when put in the holster... otherwise I would not ask for help here.

The BB device is password protected.

The holster has magnet on it.

I'm using OS 10.2.0.424

Any help ?

New Contributor
My Carrier: EE

Re: Blackberry Q5 not lockign while in Holster

Hi, I had the same problem - I found that if I went to Settings, then Security and Privacy, then Device Password, there is something which says Lock Device When Holstered and mine was set to Off, so I changed it to On. Might be worth a try.
New Contributor
My Carrier: EE

Sorry if you've already done that.
New Contributor

Yep, already done that... I think that's the only setting that does this. But it doesn't change anything.

I even tried with my old BlackBerry Curve holster, which is BlackBerry branded (and a bit too small) by trying to put it close to it in any position without success, not even close to turn off the screen...
As if this paramètre is totally useless...

And I don't really know exactly what should make the device to lock/shut the screen off ?? Is it magnet based or Light sensitivity ???
My Device: BlackBerry Q5
My Carrier: Vodafone

martinmedia,

Hello. Did you ever get a solution to this? My company just changed me from a BB Bold to a new Q5, and having been a belt clip holster user for years, I'm very disappointed to find I can't get the Q5 to auto-lock when holstering.  I've tried all the things you referred to, without success. Did you have any luck?

Also - if you know of a source of any good quality vertical belt clip holsters that fit the Q5 I'd be very grateful.

New Contributor

Finally I found that to have the auto-lock to work (when the setting of the blackberry is set), you have to put the small magnet (the on in the holster) precisely on the blackberry logo at the bottom of the screen. I found that the holster I bought for the Q5 is not having the magnet placed at the right place. So I took that small round magnet from another holster and installed them at the right place in my Q5 holster. Try it yourself by putting the small round magnet right on the Blackberry logo on the bottom of the touchscreen, it will lock automatically... no matter if it's in a holster or not.