Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q5

Reply
Contributor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎02-28-2013
My Device: Q5 / Curve 9360 / Playbook
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Can't find an APP to Lock my Q5 ... any ideas ?

Hi,

 

Have recently taken delivery of a Blackberry Q5 and for the life of me I can't find an APP or Gesture to "Lock the Phone" !

 

Having used BB keyboards for the last four years or so (and a Playbook) I'm comfortable with either holding a key on the keyboard ('A' on my Curve) or using a Screen Swipe and Tap (on my Playbook).

 

I DO NOT want now to have to hold the top button down AND then press the Lock icon NOR do I want to set the auto lock time setting to an unhelpfully low (for me) value such as 30 seconds.

 

Can anyone point me in the right direction please ? There seems to be lots of people who are also unhappy about this 'missing' functionality, surely there's an API that allows the pressing of a screen icon / screen swipe to Lock the phone ???

 

Thanks for any Advice 

Posts: 94,494
Likes: 24,392
Solutions: 6,349
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Can't find an APP to Lock my Q5 ... any ideas ?

Simply tap the top edge power button twice. The lock screen appears. And in your security settings make sure swipe to awake is turned off.

It's an option you didn't mention.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎02-28-2013
My Device: Q5 / Curve 9360 / Playbook
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Can't find an APP to Lock my Q5 ... any ideas ?


JSanders wrote:
Simply tap the top edge power button twice. The lock screen appears. And in your security settings make sure swipe to awake is turned off.

It's an option you didn't mention.

Hi and thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

 

You've suggested that if I tap the edge power button twice then I should be presented with the Lock Screen ?

 

However when I press the top power button twice on my Q5 nothing at all happens ! 

 

If however I press it three times then I'm shown the Screen Reader screen.

 

Now I'm fairly sure I havn't read anything about double tapping to get the Lock Screen either ... perhaps you're thinking of a different phone ? Or perhaps there's slightly different functionality between U.S. and European Q5's ?

Posts: 94,494
Likes: 24,392
Solutions: 6,349
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Can't find an APP to Lock my Q5 ... any ideas ?

Nope. No difference in US and EU devices as far as the base OS is concerned.

Tap it once with a firm press & again. Not a quick click.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Contributor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎02-28-2013
My Device: Q5 / Curve 9360 / Playbook
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Can't find an APP to Lock my Q5 ... any ideas ?

[ Edited ]

JSanders wrote:

Tap it once with a firm press & again. Not a quick click.

Hmmm ... I see now what you're getting at 

 

Having had some time to play around with the Q5 I'm still of the opinion it's almost like taking a step backwards in terms of ease-of-use ... whereas before all I had to do was either 1) press and hold 'A' for approx. half a second or 2) select the 'Password Lock' icon ... now it's a two step process and as such not as effortless as it was.

 

Of course for those people who've always used the top button to lock / unlock it will seem as though I'm trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill 

 

But please don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Blackberry's and have been for some time, just wish they hadn't of left out these alternative methods of locking / unlocking !!!

 

Perhaps the API to Lock the phone will get included in future versions of the O.S. ?

Posts: 94,494
Likes: 24,392
Solutions: 6,349
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Can't find an APP to Lock my Q5 ... any ideas ?


ClearBlueSkies wrote:

Perhaps the API to Lock the phone will get included in future versions of the O.S. ?


Perhaps so, I do not have any insight to that.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code