Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q5

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry Q5
My Carrier: Vodafone

NFC not working in BB Q5

Hi there,

I am not able to switch on NFC in my BB Q5 which I bought from India. Any idea why is it?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: NFC not working in BB Q5

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Can you provide more detail please? As in, what exactly do you see on your screen, what exactly do you attempt, and what exactly happens when you make the attempt? If there are any error messages, the exact and complete content of those would also be most helpful in understanding your situation.

One guess is an IT Policy...if you are on BES, then your BES admins may be restricting it. If you are not on BES, then there might be a latent IT Policy on your BB that is preventing this.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hi there,

Thank you for the update. When I try to enable NFC it shows as enabled but nothing happens. I am unable to see any options regarding file sharing anything. Also I don't see any error too. I am also unable to disable from that screen. When I choose back to network settings, it shows as NFC is disabled. We are not using any BES as of now. If it's latent IT policy, is there any way to change it?

Thanks in advance,

Faiz
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

faizpayi wrote:

Thank you for the update. When I try to enable NFC it shows as enabled but nothing happens. I am unable to see any options regarding file sharing anything.

So, when you enable NFC, nothing pops onto the screen below the "On/Off" slider? That is odd...for that is when those options should appear.

faizpayi wrote:
I am also unable to disable from that screen.

So once enabled, permanently enabled, but no options available? Still very strange...

faizpayi wrote:
When I choose back to network settings, it shows as NFC is disabled.

May perhaps be due to something blocking it, or perhaps the OS is corrupt and it can't properly enable it, so it then never completes enabling, resulting in this. Odd...

faizpayi wrote:
We are not using any BES as of now. If it's latent IT policy, is there any way to change it?

Refer:

• KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

If there is an IT Policy and you are not using BES, then whoever provided you the device didn't properly cleanse and prepare it for reselling...refer:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

(Note that steps regarding BIS do not apply to BB10)

I'm not sure how to cleanse a BB10 device of an IT Policy...with BBOS, it involved the use of the Desktop Software ResetToFactory command. But, BB10 uses LINK, and I have not found any similar command. It may be that you would need to reload your OS, and perhaps avoid backup/restore completely (so that any IT Policy is not restored).

So far, I have no recollection of anyone with a BB10 device and a latent IT Policy on board, so (at least for me) no solid information source to draw on for this circumstance (if indeed it is such for you). The OS reload may well be what you need regardless...if your OS is corrupt, a reload would be indicated, even if there is no IT Policy.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hi,

There isn't any latent policy in the phone. In the about option, there isn't balance in the dropdown list.I will have a look by reloading the application and get back with my findings. Thanks a lot for quick response.

Regards,

Faiz
Hall of Famer III

You are welcome...good luck!

New Contributor

Hi ,

I tried to reload the Os as mentioned in the help link but it says that I have the latest OS and restarts the phone and have the phone with same old result.

Hall of Famer III

I do not know what "help link" you are referring to...as far as I can see, I've not provided anything here that guides how to perform a BB10 OS reload. But, here is the process:

Good luck!

New Contributor

Hi,

I was mentioning to the guide as help link. The phone shows green light but I get a notification as the phone is using latest OS version. It isn't actually reloading.

Regards,

Faiz
Hall of Famer III

I'm sorry, but since all I have is your words, I still cannot quite understand exactly what you mean by "the guide"...do you mean the link I gave you in post 8?

If so, then that is supposed to allow you to truly reload your OS, regardless of if you have the latest or not...what you have on your BB is supposed to be irrelevant, to be replaced (without choice) by the reload process.

The result you describe sounds like an OS update attempt, for that indeed would result in the message you state if you are already running what is available to you as the latest. But the update and reload processes are different. So I am not sure which "guide" you are actually using...