Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

Contributor
My Device: 9670 Style
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: No excuses for RIM - Call it like it is. QNX is nothing

OK so let's be real RIM is probably putting more resources into bb10 than they are for theme building os7. Like it or not os7 is the latest device but it's also the last of its kind. Qnx is the future and present and that's just the way it is. You should be more concerned about getting themes on bb10 devices because that's all rim cares about right now....bb10-Qnx. Os7 is dead and gone along with the outdated java its built on. Qnx Qnx Qnx that is all. 

Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Vzw

Re: No excuses for RIM - Call it like it is. QNX is nothing

I agree to a point but there won't be any BB users left by the time they get around to bb10.  Remember, bb10 won't even be where iOS5 is today for iPhone.  As Apple has proven on all their products is that software trumps hardware.

Contributor
My Device: 9900 and PlayBook

Re: Looking Ahead: Theme Studio for OS7 and QNX

I'm not sure about a Today theme, but there's plenty of OS7/OS7.1 themes out there. I've been using Seven Point Five from BBThemes for a while now on 9900/7.1.0.267.

As usual another company has beat RIM to the punch by getting things out the door first.

Also in regards to themes on QNX, DingleBerry beat RIM to that as well. Surprise surprise.
Contributor

As it stands the official OS cannot be dingled. So you can theme your playbook if you want but you will have to do it on a dev beta.
Contributor

Oh I know. But that'll change soon enough, and now that the PlayBook has email and spellcheck (kind of) I doubt RIM'll come with anything new that will make it worth keeping up to official versions. I'd guess there won't be much of a downside to staying a version behind the official (where root will be possible)
Contributor

We will see I guess. From what I read though the dingleberry crew is a bit stumped as to what to do now. They can't root via the dm anymore with downgrading and then upgrading. They have to accomplish a direct root to the OS and from what I understand its proving to be a daunting task to say the least. Remeber when rim patched the dev beta and dingle struck back within hours? Well OS2 has been out for a few weeks now and well...no dingle 4.0 still. I wish them the best though. Rooting the tablet may even help sales this day in age lol.
Highlighted
Contributor

They've already rooted it. They posted the changelog for it. It's just not released yet

4.0.0 Development
- Improved USB Host script to cater for when USB folder is already created.
- Improved unified login to cope with when BDM has spammed.
- Allows root on any future firmware including 2.0.0.7111 and 2.0.0.7971.
- Allows loading of custom firmware and true permanent modification of /base.
Contributor

Also, last I heard from xsacha was that the release will come in March
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I would also like to see a Theme builder for OS 7. I would think RIM would want to make money off the revenue stream that themes brings onAppWorld.

I highly doubt it is spare change when it all comes down to it and not having a TB for OS 7 is hindering developers and RIM from making money.

Contributor
My Device: 9300 3G Curve
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I've actually been recommending users downgrade to OS6 in order to download themes from App World. I cannot tell you the countless support emails and angry reviews I get from OS7 users that they've downloaded a theme that's not compatible with thier device. Until RIM releasesTB7, this is the only recourse we have to continue generating revenue for a discontinued market. I've even started including the downgrade suggestion in my long description so that it's visible in app world. Maybe if enough users see it, the market for OS6 themes will be revived, at least until there's a TB7 release.