Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T Wireless

One Theme for Multiple Device Models?

[ Edited ]

Is it possible to build one theme for all BB models? I had an idea to start up a Zen template for the 8900 Curve model and then import the theme I created for my Bold 9700 and save, or do I have to individually create the theme for each model?

The reason I asked is that I thought the themes were created based on the operating system, I created a theme for the Bold 9700 with v5.0 OS but a friend couldn't get it to work on his 8900 Curve.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 9500
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: One Theme for Multiple Device Models?

Unfortunately, I don't believe you can have a single theme file that can export to all device models and operating systems. 

The technique of creating and completing a single theme for a 8900 and then importing that theme into a newly created 9700 or 9000 theme, is currently the optimal approach.  Some items still need to be tweaked after importing, for positioning or scaling.

With regards to your friend not being able to run your theme...You will probably need to create a new 8900 theme file and import your 9700 theme into it and then export the theme.  If your friend's device is running something less than 5.0, then you need to target the export of the theme for what ever OS he or she has.  I believe the rule of thumb is, themes exported for older OS's will run on newer OS versioned devices but not the other way around.

Hope that helps