Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Themes & Animated Graphics

New Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Theme Builder question.

If I'm currently creating a theme for the Bold 9700.

How do I make it so that theme works on all other BlackBerry devices?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Theme Builder question.

If you are going to make a theme to span across all other Blackberry devices, you will have to recreate that theme on every other handset  that's available on the Theme Builder tool.

Simply importing one theme straight into another handset theme file will not work 80% of the time. (there are exceptions, but they are few and far between, and even those will usually require minor tweaking here and there)

Though some themes share the same background dimensions, there are often differences deeper in the theme regarding font and icon color and/or sizes that can make or break a working theme.

For example, your theme on the 9700 shares the same background dimensions as a theme created for the 8900.  However, there is a major difference on the Incoming Call and Active Call screens between the two devices.  On the 9700 you can change the text's font style, color, size, and position on the screen.  On the 8900, though, you can only change the font color of the text. 

Some other major differences between certain handsets:

9500 - requires landscape(480x320) & portrait(320x480) images and interface design; uses touch screen

9000 - screen dimensions are 480x320 (only handset using this specific width x height ratio)

8500 - screen dimensions are 320x240

8300 - uses older OS (no higher than 4.5); screen dimensions are 320x240

8200 - screen dimensions 240x320; has mini screen to customize that's 128x160

8100 - uses older OS (no higher than 4.5); screen dimensions are 240x260

There are other differences, but they are too numerous to list here.  The only real way to know what each handset needs is to go make them with Theme Builder, and then test them extensively using either a handset or the simulators to make sure everything works the way it is supposed to.

Driving mobile personalization @ Access Lane.
Find over 300 Access Lane themes @ AppWorld.
Follow the artist @ Deviantart.com.