Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Web Services

New Contributor
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: MDS Service
Accepted Solution

BES Email Testing

Hello Everyone,

I have the need to test BES with the BlackBerry Device Simulator. The primary focus of this testing is email and mail retreival. I am seeing a strange problem and I'm not sure if it is normal or not.

When I connect my Simulator via USB, Enterprise Activation kicks off and my mail client is configured, I'm able to see the folders and mailbox name on the simulator. With the device still connected I am able to send myself an email and see it pop up in the Simulator.

I understand there are some limitations to the Simulator, but I would think that if I disconnected the Simulator and sent another email, the next time I connect the Simulator, it should sync that email to the phone. Is this correct?

Currently mail only make it to the Simulator if it is plugged in via USB while the message is sent. What am I missing here? Something just doesn't seem right with this. I need to have the ability to pull newly received messages when it connects via USB.

Any thoughts?

New Contributor

Re: BES Email Testing

Noticing the following:

[40000] (01/06 10:53:52.175):{0x16C8} [BIPP] Received status FAILED, Tag=194
[30105] (01/06 10:53:52.175):{0x3A8} {Andrew.XXXX@XXXX.local} Message returned as FAILED - could not be delivered to device, Tag=194, EntryId=27
[30066] (01/06 10:53:52.191):{0x3A8} Total Msgs Pending 0

Shouldn't a failed message delivery result in a re-queue of the message?

I would expect if there was a problem delivering the message, BES should not just forget about the message, it should attempt to send it again.
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

The simulator is not meant to act as a device replacement so this behaviour is likely expected, though the emails shoould arrive on a real device if it loses coverage then returns.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

If this worked using BES 4.1.6 and does not work in BES 5.0, when using the same simulator then it would be a BES issue and not something that could be investigated on this board. You may be best to post the BES snippets you have and post them to the BES board to see if they can provide an idea of what is happening with the messages not being resent to the device.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Highlighted
New Contributor

So it looks like you are right, the functionality issues I am seeing are because of the simulator. I guess there is no way around it.. looks like in order to do the 10 simple tests I need to perform, I will need to buy a BlackBerry, buy service from a carrier, then I should be able to test.

Oh happy day...