Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Web Services

New Developer
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Swisscom

Confusing responses for determining device details

I continue to struggle and constantly be frustrated by the BES web service interfaces....

Right now, I'm trying to get the details for a device - and I'm seeing odd responses.....

GetDevicesDetail (with device uid defined) will:
* report "osVersion"
* report "platformVersion"
* but does not have "lastConnectedAt"

GetUsersDetail (with user uid, loadDevices=True, but WITHOUT specifying a device uid) will return a list of devices that

* do not have "osVersion"
* report "platformVersion"
* report "lastConnectedAt"

And finally - my all time favourite....  GetUsersDetail (with user uid, loadDevices=true, and with specifying a device uid, too), reports back next to nothing for that one device.....

* WHY oh why are those responses sooooo confusingly different??

* WHY am I not getting back the same, complete info on a device for each of the three options??

In order to get all the information, I basically must make at least two calls - first the get user's details with the devices, then find the device I'm interested in in the .devices[] array of the user returned, pick out the info I need from it, and then call GetDevicesDetail for that device to get the rest of the information that's not contained in the device info inside the User's detail....

As an outside developer, I would have expected:

* ONE complete class DeviceDetail that would (a) contain ALL the relevant info, and (b) would be returned from all three calls consistently. Too much to ask ??

My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Confusing responses for determining device details

There's definitely a balancing act between returning too much information (bogging down your app and the BAS) and not returning enough (bogging down your app). I don't personally mind the process as is, and to be honest have not heard complaints about the data return in the past, though that's not to say others may not have shared the same opinion.

We do have JIRA if you would like to suggest any non-breaking changes to the APIs:

Goodbye everybody!