Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Web Services

Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

Java App BES Connection Problem

Hi everyone

We developed not too long ago a Java app for BB's which on occasion requests data from a web based service.

This service is accessed via an HTTP connection secured with SSL (HTTPS basically) URL and uses HTTP Basic Authentication.

We have followed closely the development guidelines on this, specifically:

• We use a connection string which selects the desired network/routing with the following order of preference: WIFI, MDS, Direct Coverage (BIBS then Carrier TCP)
  • When making a connection, we first provide no basic authentication headers, wait for the appropriate challenge and then retry with the basic auth headers

We have several clients for whom this is working perfectly well.  Others however, with little knowledge of how to use and configure the BES, are having problems whereby there settings are preventing the app establishing a connection.

Typically, our application receives an HTTP 400 response from the BES server.  The connections attempts never reach our server, so we know it is the BES that is responding.

We need to help our clients get this working, obviously, but sadly we have limited knowledge ourselves of the inner workings and configuration options that may be applicable.

Is there anyone who may be able to offer some assistance or guidance on this?  I'm happy to provide more details if required and would greatly appreciate any help you may be able to offer.

Many thanks in advance...

Andrew

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Java App BES Connection Problem

HI Andrew,

A good quick test for your customers would be to open an Internet browser on the same server as the BES and try to browse to the page the application makes the connection to, if this fails then there is an issue with the network settings preventing the connections.

From an application-front, if you have several connection types available then it would likely be best to log which connection transports are failing and to prioritize connections based on their rate of success. The former will provide some good diagnostics on which are failing while the latter will help ensure that connections succeed even if one transport is failing for some reason.

Regards,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Contributor

Thanks very much for your reply Garett

Users can access the website/URL in question without any problem via the browser.  I'm not clear however whether they are going via the BES or not when doing so.  I suppose the browser could be choosing to go over another route - is there a way to tell?.

We do know from our perspective, that it is only the MDS based transport that fails.  We never have any issue when the application chooses to use an alternative route.

One option I have suggested is that we simply route no traffic via the BES, but this is not favoured by our clients who like to maintain full control.  It's a good idea however to allow the app to use an alternative when one fails.  Currently our app won't do this.  We could report back some stats to the server to say which is being used and stil know if the BES is being circumvented and then look in to the issue whilst the customer stil has a (potentially) working app.

I'd still like to understand more about what we should look at BES wise though on this as well.  It's clear (I think) there are some settings that are affecting this as for most clients it does work via the BES.  

Thanks again...

Andrew

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi Andrew,

The browser in OS 6+ will select the transport automatically based on which will allow the connection to the server, there is no easy way to tell which is being used. The suggestion of using the Browser from my last email was to have the user use a desktop Browser (Internet Explorer etc) from the BES to se if they can browse to the server. This will let you know if the BES itself can actually get to the address. If this succeeds then there are likely settings on the BES itself restricting this connection (disallowing untrusted secure connections for example), if it fails then it instead points to a networking issue preventing the connection.

Regards,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Contributor

Sorry - that makes sense.  I'll suggest that to the support team.

Thanks again for you help

Andrew