Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Web Services

New Developer
My Device: Q5
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile
Accepted Solution

Migrating to BlackBerry Web Services API 10.1.3

Hi, We have some in-house developed tools that use the old BES Web Services (5.0.3 / 6.2) to perform some device admin actions via custom web pages and we now need to update these to use the new (10.1.3) web services API to perform BlackBerry device management.

Has anyone done this before and know of any easy upgrade path? Is it a complete re-write of all our code that references the API or is there some easy-to-follow upgrade path?

Thanks

John

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Migrating to BlackBerry Web Services API 10.1.3

Hi John,

This should be supported without any code changes, BWS was written for forwards and even some backwards compatibility. Just make sure to keep the version of BWS used to create the app in the METADATA of your app, that way the server can better understand the calls.

If you want to add new functionality added in 10.1, then you would need to re-generate proxy files, but even then your code should not need many changes to continue functioning.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
New Developer

Thanks Garett, that sounds great. I guess it's a matter of setting it up in the test rig and seeing what happens.

Appreciate the quick response.

John

New Developer

Hey Garett, Quick question. I figure the best way to test whether our admin apps work with BES 10 would be to install the 60 day free trial version and test against that. 

As far as you know, is the API exposed in the trial version in the same way as production? don't want to install and  then find the API is not available.

Cheers

John

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hey John,

My suggestion for the easiest way to test would be to point to an internal BES 10 instance, there should be no ill effects if it fails.

For test boxes, I believe all versions of BES should offer a BWS interface.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!