Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Web Services

New Developer
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Swisscom
Accepted Solution

Trying to create a device for an existing user from .NET

I've successfully connected to my customer's Managed Blackberry service and I was able to create a new user on his system using the createUsers call.

Now I'm trying to create a device for that user, using the setUsersActivationPassword  call - which succeeds - but I never get to see a device that's being created in the Blackberry system...... when I query the system for that user's details afterwards, using getUsersDetail and specifying LoadDevices=True, I still don't see any device attached to that user.....  what am I missing??

The success message also doesn't show any kind of "Device UID" or anything - what am I missing? The .NET documentation for the BWS and BWSUtil web services is woefully inadequate and absolutely incomplete and I cannot seem to find anyone who can shed some light on this......

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Trying to create a device for an existing user from .NET

You can't create devices for users, users need to add devices themselves through Enterprise Activation. If you set the password programmatically, as it looks like you are doing, users will need to use that to activate their device. Once the device is added by the user you will be able to retrieve those details from the BWS APIs.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
New Developer

OK, thanks for your response.

My challenge is: I don't have any physical devices..... is there any way to "fake this" so I can get going in my work?

Thanks!
Marc

Retired

If you're using BBOS 7 devices then you could test by enterprise activating simulators:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/Connect-the-BlackBerry-Device-Simulato...

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
New Developer

And for BES v10 and BBOS v10 ? Anything out there for this version of the platform?

Thanks!
Marc

Highlighted
Retired

mscheuner_nowhow wrote:

And for BES v10 and BBOS v10 ? Anything out there for this version of the platform?

Thanks!
Marc

No, simulators are not supported in the same capacity. You would need a BlackBerry 10 device.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!