Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Rogers

App Binary & Description out of sync.

[ Edited ]

I am updating my apps for the Q10. This includes new screenshots and features. I would submit my binaries and descriptions at the same time. It looks like the descriptions are approved (usually less than 24 hours), but the binaries... have been stuck since April 5. Now the descriptions are WRONG for the current version of the app (features and screenshots are not the same). I am hoping for a faster turn around time for app updates.

It looks like I should just submit the updated binaries first... wait until it gets approved, then write the new description BEFORE it goes out live to BlackBerry World. So many extra steps. The description update should be linked to the binaries being reviewed like what is done with Apple.

Any help in getting my updates approved because people are getting the wrong info from the description? Help.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: App Binary & Description out of sync.

Unfortunately, once the binary update is approved, it will appear on the servers automatically, and often in less than 24h. That means if you wait until approval you'll definitely have a period (maybe days long) during which the binary is updated but the description still lags.

The only workaround that I've found to be even partly adequate is to update the description with verbiage indicating that a new release that's waiting for approval will add/fix certain features. I then wait for that change to be approved (2-3 days?) and then I submit the new binary update for approval.

Once the binary update is approved, I immediately update the description to remove the "coming soon" part and just integrate the new capabilities into the description as reflecting the current version. By the time they approve the change, everyone will be seeing the new binary anyway.

Note also that right now, on BB10, nobody with the app actually installed can see the description anyway, unless they visit the BB World web site.

They can, however, see the "New In this Release" text that you can enter when you submit the new file bundle, so make sure you take advantage of that to show upgraders what the new version will bring. (Unrelated to the above mess, mostly, but at least better than it was on the PlayBook where the "new in this release" text was never seen.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!