Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

App World Feature Request - promo codes

Does anyone know whether there are plans to include a "Coupon" or "Promo Code" feature that is available in similar storefronts?  This capability allows you to share a code with a customer or blog/traditional press reviewer and they can download the application for free or at a discount.  A "bulk" promo code generator is also helpful if you want to handout single-use coupons at a tradeshow for example.

New Developer

Re: App World Feature Request - promo codes

I second that suggestion. Promo codes are vital to allow developers to promote their application to the press and bloggers.
New Developer

What's to stop you from e-mailing the reviewer a copy of your app?
New Developer

Thanks for the question.  Email works but promo codes are better in a few ways:

-   I do not need to know what OS they have and send the appropriate .zip, they can match their device to the appropriate bundle without any additional coordination.

-   Some of our applications appeal to a non-technical audience that prefer ota to .zip files and BlackBerry Desktop Manager.  Our ota download rate is > 2-to-1.

-   The ability to provision many promo codes simultaneously is great for tradeshows or when marketing through a partner.  That avoids a follow-up series of email threads to get the applications into the right hands.

-   Some storefronts allow you to configure a coupon with a discount percentage allowing you to collect revenue at a reduced rate vs. just giving the application away.

I hope this makes sense!

Developer

We've a promo codes feature that we're building into our app world dynamic licensing framework over at wonderfulbarn.com. This feature works by allowing users to download your application directly from your website, when the app launches it detects that its missing a license key (i.e. its not in the .jad as it would if it were an app world purchased copy), so it prompts the user to enter a license key or promo code. If a promo code is entered the app contacts our webservice, if the code hasn't already been used it activates the application.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: ATT

Necro! Did this feature ever get implemented? If not, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring. I've been working with some of the wonderful folks over at Crackberry, and they wanted to do a giveaway promotion for Dillo Hills, but we haven't found any reliable way to do so without simply distributing BAR files (something we'd really like to avoid).

Developer
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

How do you ensure that ensure that the promo code is a use-once code?

~S

New Developer
My Device: 9900 and PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

I'd like to give out a few promo codes to help with the marketing of my PlayBook app... if it were possible.  It seems that App World is the only distribution method for PlayBook apps and having a promo code feature (something that has come in handy for me in other app stores.. cough... Apple... cough) would be great.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apps:Beats Brainwave Entrainment - Awesome Timer - StarSlide - Save Santa
@jamiebeach
New Contributor
My Device: none yet
My Carrier: none yet

[ Edited ]

I just heard about these but not experienced yet. I was in search of the best place for these. Any one experienced please share here for the more detailed view. Thanks in advance.

Edited content to comply withCommunity GuidelinesandTerms and Conditions of Use.

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

At this time BlackBerry World does not feature any promo codes.

That said on the device side, the app does have a place to enter promo codes, so presumably this is a feature that is coming somewhat soonish...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com