Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

App World Rant

Ok I love my BlackBerry. I love the integration of the APIs with the native applications (could use improving but they're on the way). The one thing I do not like as a developer are these restrictions and almost robbery with App World.

Let's break down the costs:

1 Signing Key = $20

10 Application Submissions OR UPGRADES - $200 (Even if application or upgrade is free)

Minimum Price: $2.99 - I'm ok with this as a developer but most users are not

New Revenue Share = 70/30 (instead of the great 80/20 that it is until May)

With so many different things being taken away from developers, where is the incentive to develop for a platform that is already hard to develop for?

Why is so much being taken away from us when we may be part of the reason for the growth?

Why am I paying $20 per upgrade for no one to really review it and post it up only to find that Eclipse didn't automatically sign COD that one of RIM's tools said it should sign. It is my fault that I didn't double-check it (don't really have all possible devices to check) but why am I being penalized for offering a free upgrade (since I will now have to submit it again)?

I'm getting annoyed at what seems like greed more than anything and a lack of care for what the developers think. I would think you want to keep as many developers as possible on your platform. I'm not moving from it (yet) but it's not getting any more pleasant as the days go by.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: App World Rant

I don't mind the fees or the change in the split, if the new payment options improve volumes. 

However, a little bit of marketing from RIM &/or carriers would be nice to see.  Every time I watch TV, I'm bombarded with how cool it is to own an iPhone and how I can get apps that'll make me a cup of coffee or give me a haircut.  Sandwiched between those 'app for that' ads are cool 'droid does' ads which prominently display how it is a great way to buy apps with a visual display of an ever-expanding universe of apps.  Also the back of this week's Economist tells me I can get apps on the iPad too.  

In contrast, every few weeks, if I'm up late enough, I can catch an 'all you need is love' ad or maybe a mention that the curve is now on sale for Verizon.  If there is a mention of app capability there, I think I missed it.   

Feels like we are in this alone.  Maybe we need to print up some flyers and staple them to the phone poles in our neighborhoods.   If your friend goes to the washroom, grab their BB and download App World for them before they get back.  

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

I agree with you only in the case that it does increase volume. I'm all for it.

I also agree on the marketing bit since RIM doesn't do any App World advertising at all (to my knowledge) so our apps receive little publicity aside from being featured (which we have to request RIM to do).

I just expect more from the smartphone leader. This is all RIM has a footing in.

They don't have a tablet.

They don't own most of the search engine market.

They don't make PC operating systems.

I just don't want to see them go the way of Palm and wait until its too late only to THEN try and fix the problem.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer

JCarty wrote:

I just expect more from the smartphone leader. 

Not true.  Check the numbers some time.  RIM isn't even close in the consumer market (which is the market you are talking about, I'm assuming, since you are talking about App World).

JCarty wrote:

I just don't want to see them go the way of Palm

There started down that path about 3 years ago.  They will be headed there unless they do a few key things.  One would be marketing and pushing apps.  Another is supporting developers with more than just forums that are unmoderated.  And a key one would be an OS overhaul.

Of course, RIM will turn to dust if anyone actually comes up and creates an Android Enterprise Server.  The only hold they have is companies, and if someone can create a system to have any Android OS phone hook up securely to a company's network and mail servers, RIM will bite it.

/0.02

Developer

[ Edited ]

RIM is the number two smartphone manufacturer in the world with around 20% of the market in 2009.

The number one is not the iPhone or Android, but Nokia.

Nokia has the lions share of the smartphone market in the world, and while it is losing market share (at the moment at least) it's still far larger than it's competitors (47% market share in 2009). I used my first Nokia smartphone in 2000 long before Apple and RIM had products anywhere near as good.

If the rumours are true, and RIM's new browser is as good at it appears. If OS6.0 comes before the fall. If the new slider is not just a rumour. If the App store gets credit card payment along with carrier billed sales. Then RIM will have caught up with the user experience of Apple and the world will be clammering for BlackBerrys with their better security, texting, and enterprise integration.

We already have a distinct advantage with multi-tasking and device API integration. And because right now there are fewer developers, ours will be the first to sell to this new market.

At 30% take, RIM is still one of the better App stores for the developer.

I'm as disappointed as anyone with the upcoming changes but if we make more sales perhaps it will be worthwhile. In the meantime I think it's wise to take the pain and wait till at least the end of the year before jumping ship.

"And a key one would be an OS overhaul."!!!!!

Don't you mean UI overhaul? Which is here unless the 5.0 API docs are lying.

Don't even think about comparing the iPhone OS with RIMs. RIM's is infinitely better for developers.(Try multi-tasking, device integration APIs, backend integration etc etc).

I would have thought a developer would know better than to believe the rubbish written in the blogs by people that wouldn't know an OS if it bit them.

"RIM will turn to dust if anyone actually comes up and creates an Android Enterprise Server."

Not just the server, they'd also need the infrastructure to support the server that RIM currently has installed in over 400 carriers world wide, along with the global network etc. And right now BlackBerrys are still by far the easiest device to manage for IT departments.

It will take several years for Google and Apple to catch up, always assuming the carriers are interested given both companies agressive stance toward carriers (Google is buying wireless spectrum and Apple strongarmed carriers over the iPhone).

If the rumours are true RIM is about to catch up on the UI and browser - the key differentiators for consumers. Should be an interesting summer.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Nexus One (Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

I agree with 

~Chris
PuguaSoft LLC