Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

App World offering old versions for sale?

Looking at my licensing logs, I see that people are doenloading old versions of my app from App World. And the newer version has been available for sale for at least 6 months!

For example, if I look at the web version of App World, it shows my app ProTimer Stopwatch v1.3 posted April 2011 supporting the Torch 9800.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464?lang=en

If I log into the latest version of App World on my Torch 9800, it offers me v1.2 posted Dec 2010.

Looking at the dynamic licensing logs again, I see people downloading all sorts of different versions. There should be only one! OS version has never changed from my perspective. And the device list has only grown.

Occasionally I check on my App World Vendor portal and find it has dropped certain popular devices from my supported list.

What's the deal here? It hard enough for developers to make a buck without issues like this.

Developer

Re: App World offering old versions for sale?

I've had this happen before and it seems to be a bug in App World. I don't know if this helps, but what I've done for my old releases is set their device lists to one of the 8700 devices, and set the minimum OS support to 7.0. This will effectively make the app not compatible with device, but I am not sure whether or not the App World servers will still deliver the old releases. Double check that the devices that are getting the old release are indeed included in the compatibility list for your new release.

I would imagine that the user ends up getting an upgrade notification eventually if they initially download the old release, but this is no consolation a customer is unhappy with the older version.

Scott

Developer

[ Edited ]

How do you change the min OS version after the release is approved? I can't see where that is editable...

Developer

My mistake, the OS version doesn't seem editable. I guess I thought I was able to do that before? Anyway, changing the device compatibility to 8700f should be enough to severely limit the compatibility. An unconventional trick, but that's the only way I know that might fix this problem.

Scott

Developer

Done. Thanks

Highlighted
Developer

You're welcome. I'd still keep an eye on the problem though and if it's still a big problem then give dev support an email.