Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: App denied becuase it doesn't work the tester's way

rhearty wrote:

Hi zeusk,

I loaded the application and, as the original tester mentioned, the game is unplayable on a device.  I connected a gamepad and it works perfectIy. After reading this entire thread, I fully understand the game requires a gamepad but there should be something once the game launches to let the user know this.  Yes, you've put it in your Description, but (and it's been mentioned here already) most users do not read Descriptions. 

Given the information in this thread, I can approve the game for distribution.  However I worry this thread will close, and we'll soon be reading a thread about how low your downloads/purchases are after a few 1-star reviews from users who did not read the Description.  This will only lead to further frustration.

Let me know how you want to proceed here - ultimately this is your game so I will leave it up to you.

Hi rhearty,

I'd like to know what you mean by unplayable, is that when the gamepad is disconnected ?

I cannot remedy the fact that users do not read description. It's their fault and I have no other means to warn someone purchasing the game that a gamepad is a must. I've had quite some replies here telling me "users don't read description" but then tell me what else am I supposed to do to warn someone purchasing something without knowing what it is ?

This is not my first product in an appstore and I'm quite aware of the fact that regardless there are always people who don't care to read manual/instructions/descriptions and then blame it on the developer.

I also got in touch with Erik, application development consultant at blackberry who is active on unity forums. and this is what he had to say:

I've been testing the most recent upload of The Invaders and your implementation appears to be working quite well. I have noticed issues with the SteelSeries Free and connect/disconnect messages on older OS versions, but in testing The Invaders, I did not have any issues.

Sometimes the disconnect can take a little longer, but that's up to the OS to send that message sooner (it tries to hang onto the connection a little longer.)

Your implementation makes it very clear that a gamepad is required, and I've passed this along to the testing teams, so I don't foresee any issues on that front. Again though, if any concerns do arise, please do let me know.

I just wanted my game to be in store before christmas.

Shantanu

Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

@zeusk... I am not a big gamer, so I haven't looked at your app, but from reading this thread it seems to me part of the issue is that if a gampad is not connected you don't handle it gracefully with an on-screen alert, your game just fails to run. Forgive me if I've misinterpreted this.

If it was me releasing this game I would have probably built in a virtual gamepad that activates if the physical one isn't present. Also, I would have likely built a free version with the virtual gamepad, and included an in-app purchase to enable connection of the physical pad. This way ALL users can run the game, and the more serious gamers can pay for it.

Alternatively, if you want every downloader to pay for your app before they can play, why don't you make it a free download that only works after an in-app unlock purchase? That way you can alert the user to the need for the gamepad after they download and run it, but before they mistakenly pay for it. To be doubly sure you can insist they actually pair the gamepad before they are allowed to buy the upgrade. That way only users who actually have a pad will ever be charged for your game.

You keep asserting it is the buyer's fault if they purchase your game but don't have a physical pad, but yours is the first app I have heard of in BBWorld that requires anything more than a stock BlackBerry device to run, so I'm not at all surprised that buyers would get confused and expect yours to be the same, no matter what you put in the description.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

@zeusk "There is no way for me to make them aware of that before they purchase the game except for stating that in the game description."

Certainly there is, as I stated in my previous reply. Make the game free to download, but require an in-app unlock purchase to play it. This way you can warn the user as sternly as you need to and even require they prove they have a pad by pairing it before they are allowed to purchase the unlock that lets them play.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

[ Edited ]

HI zeusk,

"the game is unplayable" meant that when I download and launch the game without a gamepad connected, I cannot move, I get no menu options, etc. and I can only sit and watch the Computer end the game by destroying me.  As mentioned, with a gamepad it works perfectly. I merely added this as a warning.  You wondered why the application was denied; I provided that information.  As a BlackBerry user I would expect if an application required anything other than my device to run, that I am prompted upon launch of the application on my device.  You added it into the Description but our recommendation is that you add a little more upfront about that requirement within the game itself.

I also mentioned I would be happy to approve it as-is, just let me know.  The only reason I am holding onto it is so the application does not go live on the store and you begin to get negative reviews due to the lack of feedback for non-gamepad users. It's a fun, retro game - we're just trying to help.

I'll speak with Erik regarding the expecations here.  Let me know about the approval.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Vodafone

rhearty wrote:

HI zeusk,

"the game is unplayable" meant that when I download and launch the game without a gamepad connected, I cannot move, I get no menu options, etc. and I can only sit and watch the Computer end the game by destroying me.  As mentioned, with a gamepad it works perfectly. I merely added this as a warning.  You wondered why the application was denied; I provided that information.  As a BlackBerry user I would expect if an application required anything other than my device to run, that I am prompted upon launch of the application on my device.  You added it into the Description but our recommendation is that you add a little more upfront about that requirement within the game itself.

I also mentioned I would be happy to approve it as-is, just let me know.  The only reason I am holding onto it is so the application does not go live on the store and you begin to get negative reviews due to the lack of feedback for non-gamepad users. It's a fun, retro game - we're just trying to help.

I'll speak with Erik regarding the expecations here.  Let me know about the approval.

Hello rhearty,

The bar submitted already contained logic to display a warning if a gamepad is not connected, as can be seen in the screenshot taken from my own Z10. As I had quoted Erik, some old OS versions erraneously reported a gamepad to be connected even though there wasn't really a gamepad connected to the device.

http://i.imgur.com/JFfHt0G.png

The game AI is supposed to continue shooting randomly while there is no active input to act as a demo since the game does not have a tittle screen (I'm experimenting a bit here).

I'd love it if you could approve my release as soon as possible. I will be adding touch screen and gyro input modes sometime in january.

Shantanu

Highlighted
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

Hello Shantanu,

The team has approved your app; once you're ready go ahead and post it for sale.

As an FYI, I'm not sure which build you included the "Connect a gamepad to play!" dialog, but it is not in the version that we've approved (newest version submitted).  I just re-tested this on my Z30 running the newest 10.2.1 OS.  Simply a warning and an FYI - nothing more.

All the best,