Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800 & PlayBook

Re: App murder by review

When you do business with a lot of people, you'll come across retards.

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

I wish RIM would make the approve denied request quicker.  I have some deny requests in the queue for 4 days.  Can't imagine the sales.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

A better approach would be that denied reviews are taken out right away, and the RIM review would determine if it should be kept and put back in. Has RIM ever rejected a review denial request? If not, why have the RIM review process. There are apps that get hit with bad reviews, which are right on, but the developer removes them, sucking other consumers into buying their app.
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

In the beginning devs have to justify why to deny a review and now you do not have to.  I don't mind bad reviews but 95% of them are support releated reviews with 0 star rating.  If the user just send a support email then their problem will be resolved.

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Sprint

ahhh, the public is too stupid to understand the hard work we put into our applications, at least some constructive criticism would be good.... right guys? Smiley Sad
Developer
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

just had this happen to me. I was doing very well with one of my apps and then suddenly two really terrible unfair reviews which brought my sale to a halt. Next their sales went up (what a coincidence...). For a far inferior product they offer this is absolutely a joke. I know for a fact this was related to the reviews as when the reviews were deleted my sales jumped back up to a lot higher. I am not pleased ofcourse but what can you do......

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

As a matter of fact, none of the good online marketplaces (ebay, elance, amazon to name a few) to let a vendor deny a review. All they can do is comment or try to resolve but the review and rating remains in most of them.

AFAIK neither apple nor google allows you to deny review. I do not understand why RIM gives this special previlege to its developers.

Any good developer who thinks that denying reviews is good for their sales is taking a very miopic view.

Lets assume you have made a very wonderful app and another person has made a far inferior product claiming to be doing the same job. Both of you release your products and both get positive and negative reviews. Lets say he gets 20 positive and 80 negative reviews some period of time. You get 50 positive and 50 negative.

On apple and google stores, that guy will retain look bad to a customer compared to you.

On BB, lets assume that you deny all the negative reviews. He also does the same. So he has 20 5star reviews whereas you have 50 5 star reviews. A customer has no way of differentitating between the products.

Moreover, if he can get his friend and family to give him good reviews, he may even match or go past your 50 reviews.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

The other side of the coin is that you may build a really competive app with more functionality than your competitors, but once you release it, they hit you with 3-4 negative reviews and your app is plain dead if you don't have an option to deny those reviews.

In the first days of AppWorld the vendor had to give a reason why a given review should be denied and I believe that every single denial was approved by a human... but the AppWorld grew too fast I guess.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

@QuiteSimple: I think its a theoretical threat and not valid for 99% apps and vendors. Vendors on iOs and Android are happily living with this restriction and the competition is more severe over there than here.

And if some competitor is really doing this,you still get 70% of app price per bad review. You can easily counter it with reviews from your own friends and family.

And if your app is really good, more good reviews will follow.