Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
My Device: Z10, Q10, PlayBook
My Carrier: none

App sales this holiday season

Hi guys, does anyone has experienced a big grow in apps sales during this holiday season? Mine are slightly increased than the usual average, the end of 2012 was far more better for me.

----------------------------------------------------------
Tapptil creates interactive books and apps for children and families.
Recent released apps: Lil Painter Free, First Words Animals Free
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: App sales this holiday season

Given the decrease in forward looking certainty about BlackBerry's future in the last 12 months, it would not be surprising if consumers were less willing to spend money on apps this year.  They could well be concerned that the BlackBerry platform might be poorly supported or even non existent before they get their money's worth out of devices and apps.

Developer

Here's another datapoint - Flurry report shows less of a holiday pop than last year, perhaps from market saturation:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/207855/Days_of_the_holiday_mobile_game_gold_rush_are_fading_says_...

Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

Now, that you mention it: yes! Smiley Happy

A growth of several hundred percent (!!!), or in absolute numbers: 3-6 downloads over the holidays, from 0-1 downloads per day normally. Unfortunally, only for my free apps. The paid apps were still at 0-1 downloads per day ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Developer

Oh.  Yeah, I didn't really answer the original question.  I had results similar to pyth - a big bump up percentage wise off of a tiny little base.  Not really something I'd draw any conclusions from.  I didn't have much up for sale last holiday season, so I don't have any comparable data for that.

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

BlackBerry has never had much of a Christmas sales spike. I assume that the sales spike for iOS is mostly related to iPads and iPods and not iPhones. Given that BlackBerry is (mostly) just phones there is no real spike. I wrote about this in signifcantly more depth two years ago at http://news.ebscer.com/2011/12/the-myth-of-the-christmas-sales-spike/

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I too had a big hump towards the end of 2013, but since then, sales are half of what they were. Maybe normal, but sales have been trending down since middle of 2013. Don't expect 2014 to be any better.
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Safaricom

Hi,

The app sales will actually peak because of renewed interest in the BlackBerry platform...anyway am a BB die hard and my apps are doing fine in the store given the turbulence being experienced in the board rooms.