Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: at&t
Accepted Solution

Application (CodeModuleGroup) name and friendly name if installed from Blackberry App World

Hi, expert,

As we know, at the blackberry device, one application is listed as CodeModuleGroup. Each code module group can have a group name and a friendly name. Based on my testing experience, for this software: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/38406,

group name: iSpeech Translator:iSpeech.org

friendly name: iSpeech Translator

So the group name is <friendly name>:<vendor name>, is that always that way or user could change the group name any way they want?

By the way, the group name convention is same as the group name for applications installed from a JAD file.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: Application (CodeModuleGroup) name and friendly name if installed from Blackberry App World

For app downloaded from AppWorld it is the same naming convention every time: app name + vendor name. If you install from your own server via JAD you get usually only the app name as CodeModuleGroup name. It doesn't affect installation actually, I have updated OTA installed app with AppWorld version and vice versa, no issues at all.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Application (CodeModuleGroup) name and friendly name if installed from Blackberry App World

>>For app downloaded from AppWorld it is the same naming convention every time: app name + vendor name.

Thanks a lot for confirming this.

>>If you install from your own server via JAD you get usually only the app name as CodeModuleGroup name

Actually I don't see this based on my testing. The group name seems to be MIDlet-Name:MIDlet-Vendor. The friendly name is MIDlet-Name. With that, it would be same as app downloaded from app world.