Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Apps that use dynamic licensing getting rejected (Need clarification).

Today 'New Releases' for all our apps that use dynamic licensing got rejected. Can someone clarify what needs to be done for apps that use dynamic licensing?

As usual, the reviewers never respond to any requests for clarification. Its very disappointing to have to wait for 45 days to be told that we can't use the licensing scheme that we have been using for over 3 years in all our apps.

--MB.

Retired
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Apps that use dynamic licensing getting rejected (Need clarification).

Hi MB,
We are working to address concerns around the detail available in communications going forward.

I do not expect the denials to be related to dynamic licensing

I checked our systems for a vendor that is associated to your support forum email but was unable to locate. Please send me your vendor account id and I can look into it.

Thanks
Developer
Developer

Thanks a lot for the response. I've provided vendor ID and other details via a private message on this forum.

Thanks a lot once again for the response,

--MB

Contributor
My Device: 9320, developer
My Carrier: Telus

I just tried creating a new product in App world, and the only options are free, paid, 7 day sub and 30 day sub.

What's happening with new products and Dynamic licensing? My apps all use dynamic, and I like it a lot. I'd like to use it for any new apps.

I hope BlackBerry will bring this option to the BB10 and will keep it for OS7. I can quickly check sales in my database without signing into app world, and I'm fairly confident that the app is not being pirated as much. (I write utilities - when I had the simple "Paid" model for $0.99 I got some indications that more than 50% of installs were pirated - yes, at $0.99)

With my licensing server, I see people who install the same app on 4 phones in the same week. But at least it's a little harder for them because all the phones have to signed on with the same app world user ID. And hopefully when an update arrives, the same app world user ID might be needed to do the update.

That's why I like Dynamic. Anyone else want to chime in?

Developer
Developer

Totally stuck. Can anyone help? Have (unsuccessfully) tried sending response to rejection emails.

Does anyone know what's the best way to contact developer support regarding this?

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

I went through this a few months ago...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/How-to-get-dynamic-licence-key-foff-de...

Having got no initial response I wrote all the code, app and server side, then submitted my app (the dynamic option was still available at that time).

Eventually I got a response from BlackBerry through JIRA (after several weeks) that I'd wasted my time and that dynamic licensing is no longer supported for BB10.

The suggestion from BlackBerry was if you really want to do this is you can either implement it yourself or do it through the in-app payment apis.

In the end I decided to take neither option and switched to the normal static license and trusted that the new BB10 scheme stays secure. I'm glad I did now if apps are getting rejected, initially I left it in as I had read it was difficult to switch licensing models and was worried it would affect the B4BB submission date if I had but after I had it confirmed I would be okay I switched it on an update, with no hassle.  Obviously I took out the dynamic licensing code as well.

I've been monitoring the normal sites and so far haven't yet seen a hacked native app.

I can dig out the JIRA number if you want but it doesn't say any more than what is written above.

Hope that helps you.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
Developer

Dynamic licensing is supported. Because some apps/new releases did get approved after the ones that got rejected.

It looks like the reviewer who reviewed this did not know how to use the dynamic licensing url.  

Its really frustrating that there is no process to respond to reviewers/send them details.  

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-429

Scroll to the bottom.

Unless BlackBerry have now re-implemented this where do you get the key from there is no injection into the package?

And if you believe they have reimplemented why is it no longer a licensing option for submitted apps?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
Developer

We use our own license server implementation. So it should still work.

We do not need programmatic access to keys. This ticket was logged for programmatic access to license keys.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

BBSJdev wrote:

And if you believe they have reimplemented why is it no longer a licensing option for submitted apps?

Dynamic is still available as a licensing option for paid apps. I don't see it there for free ones, but a new product can select it, and I can apparently change even my existing non-dynamic-licensed products to be dynamic.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!