Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

Are donation style apps possible?

Forgive me if this has been answered in another post I did search for the word donation and found nothing.

My question is: I want to write an app that will help people with certain needs, but being a very simple app the majority are not likely to pay for such an app up front.  I would like to distribute it free, with the option to donate to the author if it has served you well.

How would that work?  Standard in app payment?  Would one have to set payment amounts?

If it helped you, click like. Smiley Happy
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Are donation style apps possible?

I believe in-app payments are the way you'd want to do this, and although I don't think you can just let someone "dial in" an arbitrary figure, you could either have a handful of preset amounts ($1, $2, $5, $10), or possibly just have a single "item" and let them select a quantity of that item to purchase. If you don't make them one-time purchases, anyone who's really generous could simply make a few repeat purchases too...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: Are donation style apps possible?

Another option is to release two versions: a free version and a paid version for those that want to give something to you.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!