Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: -

BB 10 portathons -- final numbers of submitted apps

Has RIM announced the final number of all submitted apps for the portathons? I am just curious how many apps they ended up with, and how many apps they'll have for BB10's launch. I believe they wanted 70K for launch ... and I think the last two portathons brought in 30K+ apps, so there is a pretty good chance they made it.

I am curious if RIM plans any portathons in the future too. Although if they have any future ones, it could be interesting if they focused on quality over quantity. Not that there was anything wrong with the previous portathons, but they were all rather close together timewise (so limited time to focus on development), and the primary goal was number of apps, just by the way they were set up.  A portathon focused on quality could prove useful, now that the base number of BB10 apps should have been reached -- something like the top 10 apps submitted (by everyone) get a certain cash reward, top 100 get a lower amount ... for the rest, if app meets certain quality standards it gets the flat rate ... that sort of thing. It would be subjective, but it could be fun.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: BB 10 portathons -- final numbers of submitted apps

~42000 apps from all port-a-thons

BBGotGame: 2500+

AllAboard: 4500+

BB10Portathon (Community/Android): 15000

LastChanche: 19000

There are other programs for quality apps: BuiltForBlackBerry. And there is the weekly app challenge, which covers some of your ideas (http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/01/app-of-the-week-challenge/)

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: -

Thanks for the info. It is interesting how much the portathons took off after the first two ... I guess word got out.

The weekly app challenge is sort of what I had in mind, but not weekly. Something like 1-3 months -- time to make something decent. 6 days would be a bit of a rush for me. A longer timeframe with decent rewards should result in some really nice apps from developers.

The BuiltForBlackBerry/10K thing is also somewhat related, although I think the 10K offer has expired now (or is expiring real soon).

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

poornamelessme wrote:

Thanks for the info. It is interesting how much the portathons took off after the first two ... I guess word got out.

The first portathon was only for games. Second was for any apps but excluding Android. Third one included Android. And the last one included BBAppGenerator (3500+ apps confirmed). So you can valuate the quality of apps Smiley Happy

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry