Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha C, Playbook 32 GB
My Carrier: BleskMobil

BB World Question: Why there is so many vendors in BB world that have hundreds and thousands apps?

Hello, 

I'm skilled Android developer and I'm new to BB World. I found very interesting unusualness on this store. And it is that there is a lot of vendors that have hundreds or even thousands apps in BB World. 

I'm curious why they do this? I never met on Play Store such a thing. On Play Store it is quite common that there is a few apps per vendor and they are of high quality. 

On BB World it is very common to make apps like 

- Lock For Zello, Lock for Facebook, Lock for Opera Mini, Lock for ....

- City guide for Znojmo, City guide for Chrudim (which are quite small cities and it even does not make sense to have city guide for them)

I also read in https://developer.blackberry.com/whyblackberry/mmmooo/ that MMMOOO has 300 hundreds apps (which is quite a lot comparing to Android), they have 150 000 downloads a day (which is huuuuge comparing to android) and 500 paid apps sold per day (which is quite low comparing to downloads and number of apps per vendor). 

So my questions are:

- why vendors provide so much apps? Is is because of some section like New apps when it is beneficial to be there every day?

- why vendors provide app called Lock for Opera Mini, Lock for Documents, Lock for ... or City guide for ... (every small town on the earth) instead of one generic app that locks any app or guides in some area? It is because users are used to buy single purpose app instead of universal one?

- is huge number of downloads compared to low sales caused by the fact that supply of apps is thin and they need to download a lot of apps to find the right one?

Thanks in advance for any comment 

Tom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- My Blackberry 10 app at http://blackberry.hubalek.net
-- My Android apps at http://android.hubalek.net
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: BB World Question: Why there is so many vendors in BB world that have hundreds and thousands apps?

Taking the average Software Developers salary in China, it makes sense when offered $100 per app to generate a few 'Template' apps that can then be used to produce multiple apps.  Given the size of the population in China even small cities will get some hits for downloads and the more you do the more likely you are to get a hit by someone looking for those apps.

Once you've written the app you can farm the actual data part out to someone earning a fraction of the low salary the developer was earning in the first place.

I'm always amazed by the apps that sell, you often see apps already present on the phone or that are free elsewhere, you can often chalk this up to the psychology of 'paid' must be better than 'free' and of course people will often want the app in their own native language.

I would take the article with a pinch of salt as it is clearly a marketing piece (having done many of these myself) but also having worked in China the simple economies of scale (i.e. huge population) often makes things that would be nonviable elsewhere, worth doing.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BB World Question: Why there is so many vendors in BB world that have hundreds and thousands apps?

It is frustrating the BB allows this. It makes some categories impossible to navigate. It has been suggested that multiple apps by the same vendor for the same category gets automatically grouped (auto-sub category) to make it easier to view. Probably be years before that occurs (getting new features in BBW is very, very slow). You can imagine the amount of time it would take to just upload and create all the products in the vendor's portal. I guess that if these kind of apps can still make money, this will continue.
Developer
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: -

To be fair it can also make sense.

My own apps (all two of them) are both transit apps, but for different cities. 

They don't provide coverage of a complete geographcial area (one is Toronto, one is Thunder Bay) so it makes no sense to sell them as a single app at this stage. They also both carry features specific to each city - different layouts to handle differences in content presented for example (Toronto has extra stuff for subways and night buses, and the way routes are described varies between operator).

There are some "families" of apps I do wonder about as well, but it's a valid strategy.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

2 or even 6 are fine for a family of apps.  But when there are dozens and dozens and dozens, the category is impossible to explore.  If large numbers of apps that saturate a category is your business model, that is fine, but the consumer should have the option to filter this in some fashion so they have the opportunity to explore other choices.  It is even in the developers best interest to have BBW auto-sub categorize large family of apps.  If the consumer likes one of your apps, making it easy for them to find the sibling apps (for another region in this case), would beneficial to the developer as well.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

A simple answer to the OP question: because the sum of the parts are more than the whole Smiley Happy Btw look at the vendorIds - those companies were here from the day one. And that means already more than 4 years (if I'm not mistaken). And this is made before the time of port-a-thons and AppGenerator. Nowadays you'll see a lot more vendors with hundred of apps.

IMO grouping app per vendor may result only in registering more vendor accounts...

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry