01-11-2014 11:58 PM
I've had something strange happen to two of my users, one in France on Orange and the other in USA on T-Mobile. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this and if it is perhaps a problem with BB World or the carrier networks.
In the recent case I just finished resolving a support issue where my multiFEED app was reporting XML parsing errors but still displaying the feeds correctly. This should be impossible since the code is designed not to bother trying to display the feed if ANY download or parsing errors are encountered. It also wasn't displaying headline thumbnails at all, just the headline text. I had the user delete and redownload my app a couple of times and also had them do a hard reset, all to no avail. No troubleshooting steps were succesful.
Eventually I sent them the exact same signed bar file I had submitted to BB world and which the user had downloaded multiple times, but when they sideloaded it instead it worked perfectly. I had a similar issue a few months ago with a Orange France user and an older release of my app. The problem was different, but in that case too the supposedly identical but sideloaded version ran fine while the one downloaded from BB World wouldn't.
So I'm wondering if anyone else has seen something like this. I can only assume that a few of my users are getting corrupted copies of the bar, either from BB World itself, or because it is being corrupted by their carriers en route.
01-12-2014 03:17 PM
That would be disturbing if corrupted bars were randomly being distributed - as we know well, users will torch devs at the stake for whatever goes wrong, regardless of the root cause of the problem.
I haven't experienced the issue you describe, but just as a suggestion for sleuthing - are you able to conclusively verify that the XML loaded by the badly behaving bar is identical to the XML loaded by the correctly behaving bar? This might help rule out the possibility that some random users are somehow receiving XML that's slightly malformed enough that your app could trip up on it. Asked another way, is it possible your app accidentally assumes or generalizes schema, and thus has some unaccounted for corner case that only manifests on a piece of XML that hits that case?
If this turns into a useful lead in your sleuthing, you might consider adding some diagnostic reporting code to your next app version, to bundle up the offending XML into a defect report your users could send you if they choose to.
01-12-2014 08:41 PM
It is pretty much impossible to compare the bar being downloaded by the user from BB World since there is no way to do this other than from a handset, which deletes the bar after installation. The only thing I know for sure is that the bar file I sent to the user for sideloading is EXACTLY the same one I had uploaded in the release package for BB World. I didn't have to recreate it since I still had the signed bar sitting on my hard drive. When the user installs my app from BB World they encounter lots of error messages when parsing the feed XML, but when they sideload the bar I sent them, the application works fine.
Just to clarify, the XML I am referring to is not part of my application, it is downloaded from all over the Web. RSS and Atom feeds are just XML documents. When sideloaded from the bar file my app downloads and parses these feeds properly. When what should be the IDENTICAL app is installed from BB World instead it chokes while parsing every single feed. The BB World installed application is unable to correctly parse ANY feed's XML document.
I should point out that my app is running on many hundreds of devices all over the world without any problems. It is just this single user in the USA on T-Mobile who can't run the version installed from BB World.