Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Tim

Re: Bango rips-off developers by charging 6$ per transaction

I understand you, I am angry for 6$ i don't want to think if my country don't accept PayPal and i must pay 20$!!

* Like this post
If this post is helpful, please click the "like" button! Smiley Happy
New Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: None

Wow I thought 6 Dollars is insane, but 20??

Crazy.. so the effective revenue share is 42% in some cases.

For indie developers it's not worth to develop for blackberry any more.

We should all complain about this here finance@bango.com and here help@blackberry.com

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

I recal a few years ago BlackBerry talking about why they went with an even 30% across the board, was so that developers didn't prefer one method of paying over another. That is apparently no longer the case.

Now I am apparently losing an additional $72 a year, and getting nothing in exchange for it...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Rogers

See my post in this other thread as well:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-World-Development/Can-I-Stop-Bango-Purchases/td-p/...

I also have to agree with this, these fees are uncalled for - and the worst part is, we have no choice.  Bango is the only merchant for Carrier billing on BB10.  Carrier billing is an important advantage of being in BlackBerry World and I wouldn't want to lose that payment option, but $6 is six copies of my app! And don't forget the fine print, that some settlements can require multiple PayPal transactions!  I really don't think it's fair for Bango to be taking the equivalent of 20% or more of my hard earned revenues just to get the funds to me.

This is on top of the fact that a) you don't get paid unless you've accrued more than $50 in sales, b) once they generate the invoice to pay you, it takes another 60 days for the payment to actually happen, c) there is no way to accurately verify they are even paying you the correct amount (lack of reconciled/consolidated reporting and invoicing).

Blackberry already has existing relationships with the carriers, and I don't see any value being added by Bango.  Why couldn't BlackBerry give Bango the boot and take over as the merchant for carrier billing, streamlining and improving the Vendor payment process for everyone?  This would probably increase Developer satisfaction more than any other change they could make.  I know I would be happier.

Nick

Learn to run and get in shape with Couch 2AnyK Pro, a Built for BlackBerry native Couch to 5K (C25K) app for BlackBerry 10, available in BlackBerry World.
Developer
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

not surprised one bit. might be out of BlackBerrys control though, but anyways these are just some of the reasons why I stopped developing for BlackBerry devices. 

payment vendor confusion is my number 1 gripe with BB. first Bango stopped collecting $$ for certain telecoms in the middle east - failed to inform developers and when confronted about it told us something like 6 month delay for these payments on top of the 60 day waiting period for payout.

what companies manage carrier billing for android/iOS/windows phone.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Bango... Have you looked at your Bango invoice in details? They take 1.9% of each sale for currency exchange. And their agreement with some carriers so their cut is 40% and more. Not to mention two of the Indonesia carriers paying with 8 months delay and Bango doing nothing about it.

So at the end for a $0.99 app I get $0.40. Just great, right?

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
My Carrier: Fido

QuiteSimple wrote:
Bango... Have you looked at your Bango invoice in details? They take 1.9% of each sale for currency exchange. And their agreement with some carriers so their cut is 40% and more. Not to mention two of the Indonesia carriers paying with 8 months delay and Bango doing nothing about it.

So at the end for a $0.99 app I get $0.40. Just great, right?

So what is BlackBerry going to do? Probably NOTHING?

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Rogers

@Quite Simple, yes I did notice that the revenue share for some carriers is different.  This really surprised me, since I thought BlackBerry had made a big deal about the 70/30 split across the board.  I guess our only choice is not to sell in the markets of those Carriers?  But which ones are they? It would be nice to have a list of what the revenue split is per Carrier/market since it does seem that it differs.

Nick

Learn to run and get in shape with Couch 2AnyK Pro, a Built for BlackBerry native Couch to 5K (C25K) app for BlackBerry 10, available in BlackBerry World.
Developer
My Carrier: Tim

The best thing is using only BlackBerry Commerce for all the payments.

* Like this post
If this post is helpful, please click the "like" button! Smiley Happy
Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha C,Z10 LE
My Carrier: China Unicom

It's very bad.So we are employees of Blackberry and Bango(not a vendor).