Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Bango rips-off developers by charging 6$ per transaction

This is pretty bad. So Bango gets a cut on the front and back end! What a business. Are payments to vendors automatic or do they need to be requested by the vendor? If it is a flat fee, you can wait until the balance is a lot higher to reduce the percent cost of the transaction. BB really need to absorb this cost. Their infrastructure (currently) is not worth the 30% they get now.
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

I think it's harder now to make money with BB apps.

I'm selling apps in BB App World since 2010 and my sales increased each month untill the beginning of 2013. Ok I started with one app and I have now more than 10 apps, but it's harder and harder to make money.
Sales coming from BBOS decreased and sales from BB10 are very low. I know it's a transition period but I'm not comfortable when I see the downloads of my free app on BB10, available only for Z10 but 15 - 20 a day is very low compared with a free app on BBOS.

About Bango... I'm selling more than 60% of my apps thanks to carrier billing and more than 60% in Indonesia where carriers are not paying Bango

Have you noticed a decrease of your sales on BB World too ?
March was my last good month because my app was featured in Indonesia but April and May are terrible for my sales. I'm selling 5-7 apps a day now when I used to sell 30... And with Bango fees, carriers not paying Bango, I'm getting very few money.

Things are changing. I made some money with BB apps but I'm not sure it's so easy now with BBOS devices decreasing and the new BB10 platform...

Twitter : @LaurentKP
My apps
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Tim

All us are betting on BB10 and this is a very hard shot.

* Like this post
If this post is helpful, please click the "like" button! Smiley Happy
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

jtegen wrote:
BB really need to absorb this cost. Their infrastructure (currently) is not worth the 30% they get now.

Given the size of total blackberry appworld market, I think that even if the entire 30% cut would have gone to blackberry, they would still be *losing* money for running the app world. However, most of the 30% cut goes to  Bango and Digital River as they handle the payments. So it seems that Blackberry is running the infrastructure from their own money.  So we should be thankful to them for keeping it alive :-) Not that they have any other option too :-)

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

@adwiv In the early days of BBWorld the cut was 80/20. At some point BBRY introduced the 70/30 cut because of carrier billing etc and after that Bango entered the deal. So I expect that the 30% cut covers all expenses, apparently Bango doesn't think so.

Btw from all the three parties (Digital River, Bango, BBCommerce) Digital River is the only paying what is promised: 70%. Even BBCommerce has some strange taxes that makes the cut lower, but I didn't look into invoice details.

@laurentc I have the same observation. Btw if you accept advices - go for Q10 support. Z10 to Q10 ratio is 1:3, and Q5 (the cheap Q10) will increase the volume even higher. On top of that not many apps support Q10.

Anyway, back to topic: Bango are greedy bastar_ds, I'm curios if BBRY is going to do anything about it.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

QuiteSimple wrote:

Btw from all the three parties (Digital River, Bango, BBCommerce) Digital River is the only paying what is promised: 70%. Even BBCommerce has some strange taxes that makes the cut lower, but I didn't look into invoice details.

I took a cursory look at one of my last couple of BB Commerce statements, and it looked to me as though the main culprit was the EU, and sales in many EU countries had a large extra tax (VAT?) which was dropping my percentage from nominally 70% to more like 55%. Pretty disturbing.

I'm also still puzzled that the current arrangments make it so difficult to reconcile anything. Between Digital River (both offices), Bango, and now BB Commerce, and with statements arriving at three different times, and payment either with the statement (BBCommerce), near the end of the next month (Digital River), or 60 days later (apparently... with Bango... and my first from them should show up tomorrow so I'm still only assuming), I currently find it an insurmountable task to actually verify that what I've sold I'm getting paid for. Not exactly a way of doing business with which I'm entirely comfortable.

-Peter

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

It is a real nightmare trying to figure out on how much i'm suppose to receive.  You have to be in IT to figure the reports every month. All my apps are 99cent and $1.99 so if I add all the totals each month minus 30% that should be my take correct? You would think so but the figure never comes close and there is no explanation why the figure is different from them.

I just give up over time.  It really wasting my time and they will not do anything. 

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I really wish there was a way to tell which sales belonged to which payment system, even if it was just in a monthly report. For now, I just create a monthly report (to download) in .csv format, then check off the ones based on each sales report I receive. Not perfect, and time consuming. Plus, some sales on the same day sometimes end up on different monthly payments. I figure that whatever is left over after 60 days is supposed to be a Bango payment, but don't have anything to confirm that (still haven't received any reports from Bango).

As much as developers are up-in-arms about the new Bango payment fees, I think it would be helpful to at least be able to get better reporting, so we know what is supposed to be coming from which source, and not have to play guessing games. There needs to be better accountablility from all of the payment sources.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

"Normally", if I let a company to sell my product, I sell it to them at a whoilesale price of X. Then the retailer will mark it up to cover their costs and any profile they feel they can get. Why is it here, that the many hands in the register feel that it is OK to take the markup and profile out of the sellers price? Especially when there is no negotiation available to the seller.

Guess I need to re-read the BBW contract about the 70/30 split. I dont recall it saying "at most 70%".
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

peter9477 wrote:

I took a cursory look at one of my last couple of BB Commerce statements, and it looked to me as though the main culprit was the EU, and sales in many EU countries had a large extra tax (VAT?) which was dropping my percentage from nominally 70% to more like 55%. Pretty disturbing.

While on the surface it looks like that, its not actually true. In EU, you can't charge taxes over and above the displayed price. The taxes have to be a part of displayed price. Here is a comparison between sales in US and Sales in EU for an app priced at 0.99 USD.

IN USA (Say Tax = 15%)

Customer pays : USD 1.14

BlackBerry Receives: USD 0.99

IN EU (VAT = 20%)

Customer Pays: EUR 0.89 (See the pricing tables for different countries in vendor portal)

BlackBerry Receives: EUR 0.74 ( = 0.89 / 1.20)

This EUR 0.74 is equivalent to USD 0.97 as of today's exchange rate.

So the actual difference between US sales and EU sales is ONLY 2% (and that too would fluctuate with exchange rate)