Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: None

Re: Bango rips-off developers by charging 6$ per transaction

As no member of the Blackberry team seems to read this I would like to motivate you all to complain about Bango and the reports in the "Vendor Portal Feedback Survey".

Blackberry sent the link to you a few days ago.

Hopefully we can change this.

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

The real problem is that none of use are in a situation where we can negotiate a better deal from Bango. In most cases this is the situation in which I just walk away and stop doing business with a given company. Unfortuentlly I am not being given that option in this case...

Ideally BlackBerry would bring carrier billing in house.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Tim

Infact i don't understand why BlackBerry don't use BlackBerry Commerce for the carrier billing.

* Like this post
If this post is helpful, please click the "like" button! Smiley Happy
New Contributor
My Carrier: O2

Good Morning. I’m Richard Leyland from Bango. We have laid out our rationale for the recent changes to our fee structure here on our Customer Service Blog.

Several people have commented on Bango’s fee from content purchases, stating that Bango takes 30% of the total fee. In fact this is a misunderstanding. The economics of operator billing vary around the world, but the general picture is that the 30% which remains after developers are paid, is split between the local operator, the app store in question and any payment or service provider that’s involved – In this case Bango.

Thanks

Richard Leyland

New Contributor
My Carrier: None

Hello Richard Leyland,

thank you that you now at least answer.

I'm sure you didn't read all the messages in the post, otherwise you would have known that some people pay more than 50% of their income because of yours and Blackberry's charges.

You state:

"We previously charged 1.8% for direct bank transfers. The effect of this was that while some developers were paying just a couple of dollars, some paid many hundreds of dollars, which is clearly too much. Again we’ve determined that a fixed fee is the simplest approach, and the $20 fee is designed to closely match our actual, average bank cost to send money via this payment method." <- Do you realize that with the same logic you can say: Rich and Poor people both have to pay 1000$ tax each month? 

Can you please explain what kind of a transfer system you have for normal bank accounts that it takes 20$ per transaction? 

Why are we paying 30% to Blackberry? Don't they give you some money? This is riddiculous!

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Thanks for your response Richard, in the article it says we can contact support to arrange a different structure.

Having contacted your support 3 times with the simple question 'What was the fee before' and been refused an answer three times I can't say I have much faith in getting a sensible response.

The question above was answered in the article, so perhaps you can answer another simple question will it be possible to mitigate what is a large percentage fee for those earning the minimum transaction amount each time by setting a higher transfer trigger, say $200?

This way the additional fee moves from 12% to 3%.

You should also be able to make savings by reducing the number of transactions you need to do.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Tim

I agree, now who earns 10.000$ pay 20$ and who earns 100$ pay 20$ too. It's not fair!

* Like this post
If this post is helpful, please click the "like" button! Smiley Happy
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Richard: Though I understand your logic, you are penalizing developers that make only some money to pay for the developers that make a lot of money.

Let's take the bank transfer example of 1.8% transaction.  At a $20 fixed fee, the break even amount is $1111.  So if you make more then $1111, this is a good deal, make less, not so.  So a dev that makes $3000 in one payment cycle, their percent fee is 0.67% (much less then the 1.8%).  If you make $300, it would be a 15% transaction fee.  We assume that the $20 fee was based on cumulative transactions, averaged over all developers.  It seems that this is unfairly weighted to those that make less then $1000, those that cannot afford larger transaction rates.  It seems that the lower revenue developers are paying the transaction fees of the higher earners.  A lower earner developer should not have to pay for another developer's transaction fees.  If your main concern was that upper earners "paid too much", then I suggest you revert to a percent based fee (say 2.5%) with un upper limit not to exceed $30 in any one transaction.  I also suggest that you make it easy for developers (log in account for developers) to decide at what amount the transaction would take place (default at $50).

Thank you for taking the time to address the communities concerns and we hope that you can adjust the transaction process soon.  

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

Thank you Richard for coming and being a part of this discussion.

I have to agree with others that a better solution needs to be worked out. If you pay out at $50, then that means you are taking a very large percentage in comparison. Bango takes 12% when processing through PayPal, and 40% when paying through a bank account. That is what people are complaining about.

Why should Bango be taking 12% of a $50 payment?

Why should Bango be taking $20 and leaving the developer with only $30?

Those are the questions being asked, and still need to be answered. As stated before, if the developer is making $1,100 a month or more in carrier billed payments, then it washes out and helps the developer. But for an independent developer who doesn't have that amount of income coming in, it really does look like Bango is ripping them off. There needs to be a much better response to this. Going from a 1.8% fee to a 12% fee is going to upset a lot of developers. I can only imagine what a developer will feel like with 40% being taken.

New Contributor
My Carrier: O2

Hi BBSJdev

Thanks for your suggestion. It's a reasonable one and it was given cautious support when I shared it internally here at Bango. The issue of where the trigger point should be is a difficult one. We're regularly criticised that $50 is too high.

I note you're not the only one on this thread making good suggestions that we should consider. I'd like to suggest that any interested developers add their suggestions to this thread over the next week. I'll then take all of the suggestions and get them circulated and discussed internally. Clearly I can't make any guarantee of what will result, but my commitment is to ensure suggestions reach the right people, and to report them back here in a reasonable time frame.

As noted in our blog post, the central decision we've made on PayPal fees is to pass on the costs we incur. We will gladly consider any measures which continue to do that, but which mitigate the overall effect on developers.

We may not comment over the next few days, but we're reading, and will provide proper feedback.

Thanks
Richard