Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BlackBerry App World: A one side bet

Just wondering if RIM plans on adding a credit card system like the Apple store has. It makes it very difficult for customers if they have to enter their credit card information when purchasing every single app...

Just a suggestion

Developer
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

I agree.  Everytime I try to get people with a blackberry to download my apps, they say OK and just as I'm about to feed my family, they then tell me they don't have a pay pal account..and then no sale :-(

I'm sure eventually they'll accept credit card payments.  I mean, Paypal itself accepts credit card payments.  Maybe they think it will be cumbersome to enter this info on the blackberry?  Or maybe you can store your credit card info on file like with iTunes, that way, you just buy.  I'm sure this will change in the future.

Developer

I dont' have a problem with the $200 dollars, or the 20% fee, or the 10 apps only.

I do have a problem with the fact that you can't list 99 cent apps, and also the update thing bothers me as well.

Developer

I think you're right. The 200$ premium and 20% profit sharing weren't too bad if you cold decide your own selling price and also provide updates for a previously app without that coming out your 10 app quota.

RIM should really rething this strategy in order to get the App World moving.

Developer

You can decide your own selling price almost as free as with the AppStore just with a slightly different lower limit - have you tried to sell something on the AppStore for $0.49?

With RIM you're payment is $20 per submission, with Apple you have to pay $100 each year. So if you don't require lot's of submissions and bug fixes you may even pay less with RIM.

And as I wrote before, you only need very few sales to earn that $20 with the additional 10% you get from RIM.

So there's only the free apps which seems to be handled better by the AppStore *but* on the other side, it's possible to distribute free BB apps very easily since ages - so you just don't need AppWorld for this.

Developer

But the point is the lower price limit: $2.99 is above the 'let's try it, it's only a buck' limit and people will be far more hesitating buying an app for 2.99 than for 0.99. I just don't know why RIM set's this lower price limit like that. It's also harming their revenue since they get a profit share too.

Developer

10 submission is good amount, probably too much for a lot of developers.

a "smaller size" of 5 submission at 100$ should be a good thing.

Developer

Some two good articles:

http://advice.cio.com/al_sacco/rim_blackberry_app_world_the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly_3_starting_pri...

and

http://www.cio.com/article/496434/BlackBerry_App_World_Nine_Must_Do_Fixes_for_RIM_s_App_Store

They just underline my points from my initial post and show that there are some fundamental problems with the App World store and RIM's strategy concerning it.

Highlighted
New Developer

For me, app world is marketing and credibility

Assuming RIM continues to advertise it and interest grows, you'll get some traffic just from people browsing the store.

And, because it's in the store, people know that it must at least basically do what is claimed and not be some kind of trojan.

I think it's a pretty cool time for the mobile little guys.

Developer

You can bet RIM did market research on this matter before launching the site and that their target market is fine with $2.99 - you can always give a cut down version away free to demonstrate the value of your app if you think people won't spend $2.99.

Bear in mind that while RIM is addressing the consumer market, a significant majority of RIM subscribers are prosumers and enterprises  who typically expect a higher quality of application.

In addition, programming wise RIM's devices are more powerful than Apples at least in terms of threading. It's therefore quite likely that they're having to do more testing to prevent possible runaway apps, crashes etc.

I have to say that so far I've downloaded a dozen or so apps (half paid) - I don't mind in the least paying $2.99 vs $0.99 (it's the price of a coffee for heavens sake) - and the quality at least in terms of my operating on my device have been fine.

I can understand someone complaining about the 2.99 base level if you're writing another fart app, but if it's something more meaningful be grateful their approach expects a little more of your target audience.