Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA

Can't purchase my own app (and wondering why it didn't show up in Newest)

A few weeks ago I released a PlayBook app named "iTunes Sync":

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/65525?lang=en

A couple of days ago I released a phone version. It was approved today, so I tried purchasing it on my phone. When I did that, I got the following error:

"Purchase service error. (Error Id: 30220)"

I figured there might be some kind of issue since I already had the app on my phone for development purposes. So I deleted the app, restarted my device, and tried again. Same error:

"Purchase service error. (Error Id: 30220)"

Does anyone know what the issue might be?

A secondary issue I wanted to ask people about is that the app doesn't seem to have shown up in the "Newest" section of App World.  This is very disappointing since this is a critical thing that needs to happen for people to see an app when it is first released.  Is it a commonly understood problem that if you have a PlayBook app and release a phone version of the app, it doesn't show up in "Newest" on the phones?

Is there a way for the App World people to manually trigger the app to show up in "Newest" in these cases?

Thanks,
Daniel 

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Can't purchase my own app (and wondering why it didn't show up in Newest)

30220 means App World thinks you've already purchased the app. This can happen if you ever bought the app (any release) and either deleted it or upgraded to a new phone and attempted to get the app again.

Check the uninstalled tab in My World (in App World) and see if the app is showing up there.

If it isn't, install it via the Desktop Manager, check ti to make sure it works correctly and then delete it.

Pull the battery on the device, forcing a reboot and clearing the App World cache and check the uninstalled tab again whe it wakes up. It should be showing up now and you should be able to do an upgrade level install from App World.

This is a poorly documented and poorly written error message. You won't know what is going on unless you contact RIM support as I did when I got the same message.

It is not having an effect on new customers however it can cause customers who have changed phones problems.

Hope this helps.

Developer

Hey VBRefugee, thanks for your very helpful response. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Daniel
Contributor

You're very welcome. Don't know if this will result in eliminating your problem but that is definitely what error code 30220 means.

Good luck.

On the second part of your post, I've noticed that App World (on your phone - don't know about the PC version) initially only shows 25 items in a list and then, once you've looked at those and do another query, it shows an extended list. Have you checked to see if your app is showing up under newest but it's not making the initial 25 list? Kinda of a pain in the posterior the way it displays a short list and you have to force it to show everything -- but the later versions of App World do that.

John
Developer

I'm not actually sure how to install it via Desktop Manager as you recommend.

(I verified that it is not listed as an uninstalled program in App World)

I may have a theory for why it won't let me buy the app... since I've bought it on my PlayBook already, perhaps that is analogous to your comment that people run into this when they get a new phone. This isn't a new phone, but it's a different device.

So that's a general question: If you buy the PlayBook version of an app, can you also buy the phone version of the app?

Contributor

You're probably correct as to why you cannot purchase the app. I believe that to App World, you've already purchased the app, so why are you bothering us trying to do it again. But the thing is, it should either show up under uninstalled or under the upgrade choice in the My World section of the App World app on your device.

I will say that I am getting lots of email on my support account regarding the 30220 error code. Apparently, something is amiss on App World since the server upgrade a few days ago. Some of these people who are contacting me swear that they have never purchased the app they are trying to buy and I've raised this issue with App World support - even talking to a human being for once - but to no avail thus far.

With respect to installing your app via the Desktop manager, if you are using Eclipse as your front office for your development efforts, there is an option to create an .alx file and you need that along with the .cod file in order for the desktop manager to work. COpy these two files from your workspace into a virgin directory somewhere and remember where you put them.

The .alx file is sort of a tutorial for the device that says "Put this here and put that there". You just load the desk top manager software (downloadeable from the BB customer site) onto your PC, plug the device into your PC via the USB port and allow the desktop manager to get acquainted with the device. Once it has done so, click on the applications link (left side of the screen near the top) and allow the desktop manager to sort out what apps are installed on the device. (It will find almost everything including the OS version you have on the device).

After it knows what's there, locate the browse link and go to the directory where you stored your alx and cod file. (The dialog box will only show the .alx file - it won't show the .cod file.)  Click on the .alx file and the desktop manager will check the .cod file to make sure it has valid keys installed and if it does, it will place it on the applications list and flag it for installation.  Click the "Apply" button at the bottom right of the screen and it will install your app.

The OS has to match the device only to the extent that it is an OS7 app if you are loading into an OS7 device. Prior to OS7, you can load pretty much whatever you want into a device (as long as the APIs are supported). In other words, you can have coded at OS 4.6 and shove it into an OS6 device. But you can't load an OS 4.6 app into an OS7 device.

That's all there is to putting your apps on a device via the desktop manager. I have a 4.7, 5.0, 6 and OS7 device and use them extensively for "real" testing because as everyone knows, the simulators are very good but won't do something's that the real device will do plus some of them lie to you about whether or not your code is solid.

Hope all of this helps.

John

Developer

So I did finally get it to work... what I did was uninstall it on my PlayBook, and then it showed up in my "Uninstalled" list on my phone. Now, I'm not 100% sure that it wasn't already there in my phone's uninstalled list, but I did look through that list previously and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there.

If I'm right, then this would seem to suggest that vendors can't offer apps that users can use on both their phone and PlayBook.

That's a pretty massive issue, if you ask me. doh.

Perhaps that's why companies are adding "for BlackBerry PlayBook" to their app names?  ie. Releasing their PlayBook apps as an actual distinct product to avoid this problem?

Sigh.  It's depressing to think that people who have enjoyed my PB app might be going to try and download it on their phone and getting some completely silly error message and giving up.

This seems to be my week for getting frustrated with RIM, because here I am again.

1. Why provide such a useless error message? Isn't that one of the most basic principles of good software and service design? Provide a meaningful error message?

2. If it's true, it seems completely ridiculous that people can't buy a product on both their BlackBerry phone and PlayBook. That just makes me sad.