Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Copycats are killing devs

Wonder if you can fake reviews. Create many email accounts, create matching BBID accounts, change your phone BBID, and those BBID to your sandbox, add review, then repeat.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

This link may be relevant:

How to Report Copyright and Trademark Violations on BlackBerry App World

http://us.blackberry.com/legal/violations.jsp

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer

That's good to know. Would be nice if an email could go out to all developers letting them know about this. Both those who are making copies knowingly and those that might not know that their work is being copied.
Developer

To start with, it would be nice if App World enforced unique names (case insensitive, ignore punctuation and spaces). They said about 1.5 years ago that this would happen, but it has yet to occur.
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Innovatology wrote:

This link may be relevant:

How to Report Copyright and Trademark Violations on BlackBerry App World

http://us.blackberry.com/legal/violations.jsp

I'm afraid, I don't see how this helps. I don't have any IP, copyrights or trademarks, do you have any? This works for big companies only; recently an independent vendor was crushed by Magmic, because he tried to release rubik-cube like game and they owned the rights to produce such games, so he didn't have a chance to publish his app.

As result of this whole thread smiley has pulled off his app, and the app of Droid Mobile will soon reach 2000 reviews. Do they cheat? Yes. Is it possible to generate reviews? Of course it is, smartphone simulators are as good as real device, give me a week and I will build an app that generates infinite numbers of reviews.

If you believe that RIM will do anything about it, you are just naive. RIM mantra is "more apps". How many apps have you developed last year? 2? 3? 4? The copycat company has made hundred. Another company, which has several apps in top paid, was banned from CrackBerry/Mobihand last year due to shady marketing approach. Third company, which is well known for manipulating review system, received Jam award. I can go on with examples, but it just doesn't matter.

No offence to anyone writing in this thread, probably I have just a bad day. But if a strong believer like smiley (he was here even before me and I consider myself as an ancient vendor) loses his fate, well, the end should be near.

Peace.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer

By default, you have a copyright. If you create original work, that work is copyrighted to you. Name, images, features, etc. If your app name is unique, you can TM in the US simply by going to:

http://www.legalzoom.com/sem/trademark-fast.html

Certain cheaper methods might exist.

If developers dont want to protect their effort, then they (and I dont mean anyone specifically) should not be offended if they get copied.
Developer
My Device: Paper cup

[ Edited ]

QuiteSimple wrote:

As result of this whole thread smiley has pulled off his app, and the app of Droid Mobile will soon reach 2000 reviews.

That was hardly necessary, it was still doing very well on page 3 of Top Paid, with no-one else's version in Top Paid. Both of them seem to be gone now, Droid Mobile's is not there anymore either.

edit: Hey now they're all gone, both Silent Cameras and both Camera Mutes.  Maybe RIM decided they don't want people taking pictures silently...

Silent Camera was a good idea (I did buy it), but actually a very primitive app that could easily be improved, and in my opinion the author should be grateful that he was left alone to make so much money for so long, because it was the kind of thing that was bound to be copied, and quickly.

By the way, the author could have filed a Patent Pending for something like $260, and could have filed a trademark application for about the same. He also could have claimed trademark even without registration by appending "TM" to the title, but he did not do that.  So it was just a big neon sign on the front page of App World saying "Copy Me".

If you believe that RIM will do anything about it, you are just naive. RIM mantra is "more apps".

This is true, they just sent an email saying "you've got approved apps not published", and have called me in the past about that, because I had un-published some things that had problems or just didn't work out. Their position is understandable -- they are frequently measured by how many apps they have in their store. That's a stupid way to compare platforms, but the public is well-known for being a herd of mooing cattle that go wherever they're led. And they are being led to Android and iOS with the lure, "500 zillion apps on iOS! 200 quintillion crapps on Android! Only 100 thousand on BlackBerry! Don't buy BlackBerry, you will be starved -- you can't live on just 100 thousand apps, even though most people only use a few dozen." So RIM has to do anything to increase their app count.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

This book might be useful to some of you :-)

Protecting Your Mobile App IP: The Mini Missing Manual

Ebook: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920013051.do

Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/a/dp/B004P5NR06

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Paper cup

Good job somebody for successfully getting all silent cameras and camera mute apps thrown out of the store -- including your own. That was a successful rant, I'd say. How's the income from those over at MobiHand, they paying at all these days?