Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Cryptography export restrictions?

We are based in Europe and have an existing, freely available app. We're considering adding a relatively simple but effective file encryption feature. We'd use a generally available and easily obtainable algorithm such as AES - a Belgian invention.

I've read Export Control Restrictions for App World and am trying to figure out what it means.

Some concrete questions:

1. Don't all BB apps contian at least some "US technology"? After all, C/C++, Java, AIR, Webkit, Android all have roots in the US.
  2. We're in the EU and are exporting to and re-exporting from Canada as described in these notes. Why would US regulations even apply?
  3. Is App World smart enough to interpret these export restrictions intelligently, or does it just block downloads to broad regions? What about, for instance, China, where AFAIK export to end-users is permitted but export to government users is not?
  4. As App World is not even available in "really sensitive" countries such as Iran, North Korea and Syria, would export restrictions have any impact for app devs? 
Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Cryptography export restrictions?

Some great questions that I unfortunately don't have the answers to. I would suggest submitting a ticket then posting back with the answers you receive:

Goodbye everybody!