Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

DOES APP WORLD HAVE TO THROW AWAY THE NEW PRODUCT IN THE MIDDLE OF WRITING THE DESCRIPTION?

This has just happened to me again for about the thousandth time.  I'm sorry, but It's ridiculous!  In the middle of creating a new product, after all the work of uploading and entering the meta data and graphics, while putting the finishing touches on a well-written description, App World just kicked me off the site without warning in the middle of typing and threw away the entire new product and its meta-data without saving, offering to save, asking if I want to stay logged in, etc.

This has been going on for years, and I'm glad we're getting a new director of developer relations, because WHAT IS THE POINT OF THAT?

CAN'T RIM FIGURE OUT HOW TO IMPLEMENT AN IDLE TIMER THAT RESETS WHEN THE USER IS TYPING?

Thank you, please send the check for that lost time to my summer cave in the Himalayas.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: DOES APP WORLD HAVE TO THROW AWAY THE NEW PRODUCT IN THE MIDDLE OF WRITING THE DESCRIPTION?

[ Edited ]

App World's timeout is absolutely way too short, and it's very annoying that it times from the start of editing a product and ignores activity within that edit session.

I think this is obvious, but I'll point it out anyway: you'll be much better off if you prepare your text offline, in a text editor, and save it in a file. I save mine in a repository so that it's version-controlled along with everything else (including the code, assets, and other material).

While I really can't defend App World on this timeout issue, I have to point out that this alternative isn't difficult, and has big advantages.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Re: DOES APP WORLD HAVE TO THROW AWAY THE NEW PRODUCT IN THE MIDDLE OF WRITING THE DESCRIPTION?

[ Edited ]

I agree, and whenever I get burned, after I'm done throwing old hard drives at the walls I pull up a notepad right away.  But for some reason I usually forget about it until I get burned again.

Developer

I got hit just a week ago when I put my app on sale. I merely updated the description with a leading paragraph (you know, "Sale this weekend only!" stuff) and hit Save. Naturally it insisted that now I had to provide a massive Featured Image, even though it's a PlayBook app and there's no place that will be shown yet, so I had to go and whip one off. I did it quite quickly, but of course it had timed out by the time I got back anyway, losing my small change.

You know, if RIM was interested in making things more usable for developers, they could learn about the novel concept of "saving work in progress". That way rather than throw it away, as your title reads, they could simply save it in the current state and close the session. When you return, it alerts you that you have incomplete changes, and it pulls it all back.

Maybe after the dust settles from the new AW 3.0 work, they can focus on some of these serious usability problems.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Right, or even just have it ask after the timeout, do you want to stay logged in or are you away from your desk.

Most times I try to type ctrl-A, ctrl-C quickly to copy the contents when I see the progress bar start going as it's logging out, but it never works.  I also do that sometimes when I've been typing for a while, just in case -- and that's saved the work several times, but sometimes I still forget.

You're right, the best way is to edit outside App World.  But it still shouldn't be a race against time to edit meta-data or create a product.

Highlighted
Developer

There's a Firefox plugin named Lazarus which has in the past been extremely effective for me in recovering the contents of HTML forms when things go wrong. Perhaps it would work here... I haven't checked it myself.