Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Developer response to appworld review - How?

Hi All,

Someone added a review to one of my apps and asked for a response. This person gave a bad review and said that they didn't even install the app and wants a question answered.

1) How would I go about responding to this person?

2) Would you deny the review?

Thanks.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Developer response to appworld review - How?

I just had one person do this as well, with a two-star review that simply said "how to view the export report of cvs file?"

We have no real option except to simply deny it and move on, as we have no way to contact the user.

To deny the review, go into the Vendor Portal, click on Manage Products, find the row with your app listed, and look at the right-most column where it says "Reviews". Click on the number, which is a link, and on the page that comes up, click on Deny Review next to the culprit.

After a human at RIM looks at it (for reasons we don't understand, as we've never heard of a "Deny" request being rejected), it will be denied and stop appearing to users.

Note that although the "overall rating" shown on that page includes all reviews, even ones you have denied, the actual overall rating that user sees does not include the ones you've denied, nor does the total.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Thanks for the response. I've gone ahead and denyed the review. Not sure how people don't read the short summary and the part that says email me if you have any questions. No recieved email has gone longer than 12hrs without a response.

I also had to deny the extremely poor review of someone a month ago who said my app wouldn't work properly on OS2 beta. An OS that is still not ready for launch, earliest would be in Feb. 2012, and will most likely not be anything like the beta that's out now and meant for developers. It upsets me to deny reviews but some just don't deserve to be there.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I agree. I've denied three now, one mentioned above and two which claimed it was non-functional and gave 1/2 star reviews. One actually did email and, after I responded (teaching him how to actually "swipe-on" from standby properly) I got no response so I just denied that review too. Not like App World currently would have let him fix the review anyway.

I was actually somewhat happy to get a 2-star review the other day that I was able to leave there, just so I could feel better about the situation. It's a pretty bogus review, but at least it's not really just a disguised support request.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

I think a fair and proactive way to deal with this is to remove the comment but release an update (if possible) that addresses this issue. Maybe the update means making changes to the help section.  By doing this you have done your dilligence to reach the user as they've requested, and you have addressed the issue for other users. Don't release too many updates, of course, but all of these reviews are opportunities to please your customers so acting on them quickly is a great benefit.

Scott

Developer

Good idea. I'm already working on an update so i'll try to include some language in there that addresses the issues that can't be present in the update.

Developer
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

This is overneeded but will never happen unless everyone votes in jira as what's posted here doesn't seem to matter, only the amount of votes a topic gets in the jira ticket system.

I created a ticket about being able to respond to reviews a month or so ago and it hasn't even been looked at because there's no votes...

So if you want to respond to reviews, vote and let BlackBerry know

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-2032

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Three Mobile

To be honest, no matter how many votes that Jira item gets, I doubt that it will get implemented.

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: *

What testworks said, somehow I feel it is quite dead the jira vote system

Developer
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

to re-invigorate a little bit of faith into the system, I e-mailed the VP of developer relations about this and he clarified a few factors.

For the issue tracker, it serves two purposes:

1)      Bug reports – the Dev Rel team confirms/verifies them, comments on any alternative solutions, and ultimately links them to the internal systems for R&D to resolve in a subsequent OS release.

2)      Feature requests – Roberto is the prime for ingesting these, which accounts for the vast majority of what’s outstanding in his queue. These typically don’t get closed until they’re actually delivered, which allows others to vote on and watch the outstanding requests.

In either case, we’ve got a team of dozen or so people who are daily triaging incoming issues. Of course, we don’t actually close any of the outstanding bugs or feature requests until they are solved or delivered, which usually comes in new OS and/or new SDK releases. 

This doesn't mean jira isn't fundamentally broken and they should re-evaluate their approach (screw votes and just start fixing tickets) but at the same time Jira is the easiest way for them to keep track of all these issues.  

The major flaw is they put so much reliance into the voting when most people don't want to deal with it and that's what is hurting everyone.

The ticket about responding to reviews is now public and can be voted on if any of you feel like putting a vote in Smiley Tongue

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-2032