Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Dynamic License Flow

In the article named Dynamic License Flow, it describes the Request from App World as:

POST /pathfromdeveloper HTTP/1.1
Content-Type: application/www-url-encoded
Content-Length: 120
Host: hostfromdeveloper

PIN=12341234&email=customeremail@email.com&product=product&version=1.2&transact
ionid=123&test=false

What exactly is PIN?  is it DeviceInfo.getDeviceId()?

What exactly is product? is it DeviceInfo.getDeviceName()? or DeviceInfo.getManufacturerName()?

What exactly is version? is it DeviceInfo.getDeviceVersion()? or DeviceInfo.getOSVersion? or DeviceInfo.getPlatformVersion() or DeviceInfo.getSoftwareVersion?

Is there an option for developers to specify what is included in the request?

Thanks

Developer
My Device: Blackberry 8320
My Carrier: TMO

Re: Dynamic License Flow

Did you find an answer? If so, what was it? Thx in advance.

Developer
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

Robotuner,

All BlackBerry devices have a PIN.  This uniquely identifies each and every device and is a great way to implement dynamic licensing.

Product is your product-- Your application....whatever you decide to name it.

Version is the version of your application. It has nothing to do with any API calls but its what version you declare it in the Vendor Portal -- like the previous application name or product.

And yes, you are providing them a URL so you can add your own parameters as well.  For instance, I add a parameter that is the value of where the request came from AppWorld (vs. Mobihand or Handango) amongst others.

The document probably didn't explain all of the parameters because they probably thought it was self explanitory.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks RLord,

I was just getting to reply, but will defer to you.  You are right, those answers are pretty self explanatory once you have gone through the process.  Until you get through it once, or if you are lucky enough to have some show you quickly, it is sort coding in the dark, wondering if you got it right.

Developer
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

I totally agree.  I think they should clearly define all of those items.  Oh, one thing to keep in mind is that the PIN, the Device.getDeviceInfo() call returns you the PIN in decimal format but AppWorld will send you the 8-digit Hex PIN so you'll need to convert it to Hex before you start doing PIN comparisons from your key.

The Hex PIN is what everyone knows as their PIN anyway and thats the format you'll see if you go to options | status or if you type "mypin" in a message (on most bb's with autotext).

Developer
My Device: Blackberry 8320
My Carrier: TMO

Thx for the quick reply. The flow document (pdf) states that it also sends the phone number in the http request but does not show it in the example url-encoded text. Does it in fact send the phone number? If so, what is your opinion about using phone number in the key generation? It seems likely that a user's pin will change before their phone number changes (ie the case of a lost device).

BTW, I appreciate your many contributions to this forum.