Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Dynamic Licensing 'Detailed Instructions' missing

The 'detailed instructions' knowledgebase article referenced in the RIM pdf: Dynamic_License_flow.pdf do not appear to currently exist  on the website. I get a 'page not found' when I visit the address it references.

Does anyone know where that article has been moved to or where I can find similar info?
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Dynamic Licensing 'Detailed Instructions' missing

Developer

In case you still cannot open this link check the attached pdf below.
New Developer

Thanks for trying tbilisoft, but I have that document - it's the 'more detailed' article that the document references that is missing. It gives an incorrect link for a knowledgebase article (on page 2 of the pdf) where it says more detailed instructions can be found:

the address it gives is:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800639/How_To_...

I've tried searching keywords, and even messed with the url where it looks inconsistent (How_To_-_)  but to no avail.

It seems many people are in the dark re: Dynamic licensing at the moment. The most info I have found sofar is this thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=appworld_dev&thread.id=17&view=by_dat...

but people have experienced problems with the suggestions, and there does not appear to be any way to test prior to going live (which is unacceptable to me.)

creating a webservice to generate a license is not a problem, but there is still no info available re: rims ip addresses which will be making the requests, and no official documentation I have been able to find which tells me how to pull the users license from the device via my Java code.

Developer

Try to contact storefrontmanager@rim.com

and ask the necessary information

New Developer

yes - thanks. I had already emailed them and am still awaiting a response.

In the meantime, if anyone has any proven suggestions for validating a users license I'd love to hear them.

I'm thinking of trying the code referenced in the thread above, but as I have no proof it will work, and rim has not given us the ability to test prior to going live, having fall backs of validating the pin against a web service the first time a user runs the app, and as a last resort manual entry of the license key rim supplied to the user if web access is unavailable.

Obviously the pin approach is not ideal as users changing their handset will have to contact support - but I currently fail to see an alternative and RIM officials have been extremely quiet on the issue - in terms of documentation, kb articles and forum posts.

It does seem OTT to have to jump through so many hoops, and I do feel that much more official documentation  should be made available regarding dynamic license validation.

what do other developers think?

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi  b3nj1m4n,

We used the licmax service (http://www.licmax.com).  They support all the mobile stores which do dynamic licensing, and it saved us having to implement a server ourselves. 

HTH, Posri