Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

Re: Free BlackBerry PlayBook Offer ,is it working properly?

Yep, I also got the email yesterday!  My second free Playbook!!! I really love BB

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: NA

@QuiteSimple

From the terms and conditions, 

"3.2 To participate in the Offer, you must create and submit an application designed for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet through the Vendor Portal (“Application”)."

Are smartphone applications eligible for the playbook offer?

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

jj14x wrote:

Are smartphone applications eligible for the playbook offer?

No. Only apps, which will run on PlayBook, no matter how they are created (converted Android apps, WebWorks, AIR, NDK etc.)

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
New Contributor

Thanks Smiley Happy
Contributor
My Device: None yet
My Carrier: T-Mobile Netherlands

I have a question or two about this offer Smiley Happy.

Firstly, I forgot to add the OS2.0 qualifier the first time round (there's so much to do before being able to submit an app...), can I make a new release with new features for OS2.0 and still be eligible? If anyone knows Smiley Tongue.

Second thing is: What kind of files are supposed to be uploaded for the Playbook and phones in what way? I managed to get it to work, I guess, but didn't see any clear guide as to how or what should be done.

Thanks in advance Smiley Very Happy.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bassie1995 - I would assume that the new release for OS2.0 would be eligible for the offer - but hopefully, somebody from RIM will confirm that for you. Why don't you try reaching out to RIM developer/vendor support team directly?

I believe the signed bar file needs to be uploaded as part of the app submission.

The instructions are (surprisingly) pretty clear on their website about how to sign it, and how to generate the bar file, and how to submit it,

Contributor

@jj14x: Thanks for the info, but @BlackBerryDev won't react, the blog post isn't replied to, and the support email seems to be dead, according to posts on the forums... I'll try their email, though Smiley Happy.

I did upload the bar file, but it automatically added that as a phone file, so I uploaded it for phone and tablet. Is that correct? I had only those 2 files, one bar for PlayBook and one bar for the phones.

The online repackager did a lot of work already, though Smiley Tongue.

New Contributor

I am relatively new to the appworld myself (only two apps submitted so far), so hopefully somebody with more experience will correct me if I mis-speak - I think when you generate the bar file and sign it, you have to specify (both times) what type of app it is - smartphone or (/and) playbook.

I created my app for playbook, and uploaded it only for playbook (it didn't create phone file though). I guess you can create for phone and tablet as well. I don't see why that would be a problem (again, I don't represent RIM, so I am not certain)

About your earlier question, I had made the same mistake for my first app submission - initially forgot to indicate OS2.0. I then (same day) created a new release as 2.0 and submitted it. A couple of days later, I got an Email from blackberry indicating that I was eligible for the playbook offer (assuming it was approved after review), and it also stated "If you receive notice that your app has not been accepted, don’t give up. You can modify and resubmit that app for approval as long as the app was originally submitted during the qualifying period" - So, I assume that (updating OS version) should be ok.

Contributor

@jj14x - Sure seems like updating the OS version is OK. I'll try that, and report back when BlackBerry Support mails me Smiley Happy.

I didn't get an option for making a phone file... Ah well, next time I'll just upload for the PlayBook to avoid problems, and try messing with the phones later on Smiley Tongue.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

BAR file is only for PlayBook.

For smartphones you need COD file. You can create smartphone apps using Java (BB Framework) or WebWorks. Ported Android apps won't run on current smartphones.

Basically if your app is created via WebWorks you can create a BAR file for PlayBook and pack the app as COD for smartphones.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry