Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Free BlackBerry PlayBook Offer ,is it working properly?

after you have signed your app submitting to appworld is pretty basic

1 login vendor portal

2 got manage products

3 select Add Application and follow the instructons.

The first step is fill out the app description and uploading the appicon and screenshots

4 you then have it add the actual BAR file.  in the manage products screen click on the + icon and add the BAR file

5 select platform = "Playbook" and select min OS 1 or 2.  if you are app is designed for OS2 then select OS2 ONLY

6 follow the instructions and make sure you check the Submit checkbox

Contributor
My Device: None yet
My Carrier: T-Mobile Netherlands

Thanks for explaining, smiley... I've been doing it right Smiley Happy.

As for your story, QuiteSimple, I was thinking that BAR was only for PlayBook. Shame... Is WebWorks a lot different from Android programming?

Also, what's the difference between the Android App Player and BAR files? I guess Player is for APK and BAR is without the Player?
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

WebWorks is HTML5, JavaScript, CSS etc.

Android is - as you know - Java Smiley Wink

Also, what's the difference between the Android App Player and BAR files? I guess Player is for APK and BAR is without the Player?

BAR files are installation files for PlayBook. Android App Player is an emulator in PlayBook to run Android apps converted for PlayBook. All PlayBook apps are installed via BAR files. Therefore you need to repackage your APK file to make it BAR file.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Contributor

Ah... But the Android Player also installs APK, no? So that does APK and BAR, and PlayBook natively only does BAR?
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

All apps installed on the PB are packaged as a BAR file regardless of the source application (AIR, WebWorks, Android, NDK, etc.). The Android Player does not install files, only App World installs files.
Contributor

Ah... I think I get it now. Thanks for all your help!
Developer

BAR is nothing more than just a normal zip file that has been signed.  if you change the extension from .BAR to .zip and then open it up with RAR you will see the content. eg: .xml and swf file.  this is of couse if you dev using Flash builder.

Contributor
My Device: None I hope to get one soon
My Carrier: Same

Hi,

I've submitted 2 apps, one on february 8th and the other on february 13th.
The 2 apps have a "Waiting on Test House" status, as I understand, when one of these apps will be aproved, then I've to send a email to developeroutreachprogram@rim.com with the name of the aproved app.
Is this correct?

Thanks

Developer

Truehemin wrote:

Hi,

I've submitted 2 apps, one on february 8th and the other on february 13th.
The 2 apps have a "Waiting on Test House" status, as I understand, when one of these apps will be aproved, then I've to send a email to developeroutreachprogram@rim.com with the name of the aproved app.
Is this correct?

Thanks

once in test house it will take about 5 - 10 days before it will be approved or denied.  you will get an email in either case. if you get the approved email you then need to login appworld and actually Post it for Sale other wise it will not be visible on appworld.

Contributor
My Device: None I hope to get one soon
My Carrier: Same

So, once the app is approved and I post for sale, this is enough to accomplish the free playbook offer?