Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9330
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Getting Started

Hi,

I am extremely new to BlackBerry platform, so I have a few questions:

• What's the age limit of creating an app and putting it on the App World?
  • What doe it cost? (I read on one site it was $200, and I also read on another that it was free)
  • What is required to put an app on App World? I don't have PayPal, so I wonder if it's required.
  • What is the approval process like on App World? (Apple's approval process erks me)

If anybody could answer this that'd be great! 

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Getting Started

There is no age limit, but there is a minimum age that allows someone to enter a contract. Typically 18 yo. You can have a parent enter into that contract for you if you are less than that.

No cost.

Paypal to get paid. Not certain if it is required if you apps are free. Someone else might be able to answer that. Parents can setup an account.

Approval process is not the greatest as compared to other markets. "Typically" it is 7-10 days for new apps, 1-2 days for updates.
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

jtegen wrote:

Paypal to get paid. Not certain if it is required if you apps are free. Someone else might be able to answer that. Parents can setup an account.

Correct, PayPal is required only for paid apps.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! I just thought of something else...is a tax return required for paid apps? My parents are concerned.

Thank you!
Developer

Money received is income, so you will have to report it. RIM get 30% of gross sales. Unless you have a killer app, they will probably be safe from the next income tax bracket. You/they can start an LLC to hold the money and keep it away from their personal income (there are minimum taxes on LLC + registrations by state). The LLC could then pay you, so you would get a tax filing as a minor, but your tax rate is less than your parents tax rate, so more money could be saved. But if you are grossing less than ~$5K per year, it is probably not worth the LLC route. You can always do it later. Seek tax advise from a tax professional for your area.
New Contributor

Awesome! Thank you! So, just to be clear: if I sell a paid app, I file it on my parents taxes. Correct? But it the app is free, nothing to worry about. Thank you for your knowledge and wisdom!
Developer

To be safe, have them ask a tax advisor. "Normally", if you receive money for goods sold, you have to pay tax on that income. What's nice about having a company identify (LLC, etc.) is that you only pay taxes on profit, not income. So any things you have to buy to produce the goods (computer, FB4, etc) are costs against your revenue. So in some cases, you may own no taxes (if costs >= revenue). However, that can only go on for so many years before they start getting upset about it (company losing money all of the time). It all depends on how much you think your app will make. Best advise: ask a tax person, start out simple, then grow as needed. Another good thing about LLC (and all) is that it protects your liability from personal assets to only your assets purchased or held by the "company". Not to scare you (but keep in mind), if someone went after you because your app caused some kind of harm to them (lost data, etc.), they could go after your parents assets (home, car, etc.). A LLC (for example) protects those assets. It all depends on the type of app and a bunch of other factors. So if you get close to be successful, start thinking of ways to protect your (and parents) assets and how to lower taxes. Have fun.
New Contributor

Ok, sweet! I'm thInking free, but do I pay taxes for advertisements? Sorry to make you answer all these questions, I am just brainless! Nvm, can't create apps without a brain Smiley Wink
Developer

If get revenue on advertisement, that is income. In reality, you will get so little with that unless you become so large in usage (like an Angry Birds). If you are new to this, sometimes you have to try different things. There is no gold ring. In any case, you have to work hard, market well, and keep on developing to improve or widen the number of apps offered. And have fun.
New Contributor

Thank you! Oh dang it, thought of something else; donations. Like when you ask for donations...? But for a first time app, definantly going to be free.