Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Have existing app in app world - now how to create free trial?

If I want to create a free 3-day trial (no license key needed) for an existing app in App World, what's the best way to do this? Just create a new product in App World with another product ID, but with a "free" licensing type in the vendor portal? 

Also if I do it this way and keep the trial version number lower than the full paid version number of the app, will App World overwrite the trial version when someone purchases the paid version?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Have existing app in app world - now how to create free trial?

If you do a try&buy, the trial version has to be greater than the full version. This can be done with the build number. So trial version 2.1.0.100 and the full version would be something like 2.1.0.99. Still not certain why App World can not just go with "trail" checkbox and have to deal with version number comparison.
New Developer

Is this not the other way around? I thought the trial version must be lower in number so that when the user tries to upgrade to full version, the higher version would overwrite? 

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

That would be logical, but it is not.  The trail version has to be the "larger" version.  It would be seem logical that the version of a try & buy should only look at which has the "trial" flag next to it and the other package file would be the full version for the same "x.x.x" digits of the version.

New Developer

Can someone else please confirm this?  I still don't understand the logic behind making the trial version have a larger build or version number than the full app version....