Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Help with digital good setup

Hello

I have product setup in the vendor portal and its still on draft status.

The product is an ebook for digital download.

Can someone please explain how I upload the epub file to my product setup?

Also what is a new release do .cod or .bar files even apply to me?

I read that in order to submit a product you have to create a release? which prompts for these file bundles.

This is a but confusing there is no step by step for ebook product submissions.

My portal shows a 1 under goods which is the ebook when clicked shows 1 draft. 0 Denied.

Can anyone assist me please.

Appreciate it thanks.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: Help with digital good setup

You can submit digital goods as part of an application. As far as I understand you have a single e-book in ePub format. It is not an app. All the e-books selling on AppWorld are actually embed in an e-book player, so when the user purchase it, he/she can actually read the book. AFAIK there is no native epub player for smartphones/PlayBook.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
My Device: Paper cup

Don't know about PlayBook, but for the phones AFAIK you have to embed the ebook in either an installer app or a reader app. The app is just a project with the book included as a file resource, which it copies to a file on the media card in the right place.
New Contributor

Thank you for the help on this, does anyone who has an ebook product on BB App World know what my next step might be?

Where would I source an ereader or application that is compatible with BBAW?

Perhaps there is a step by step tutorial somewhere?

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

The ebook installer I use has a button that lets them download Mobipocket reader, plus a backup copy of that on my server since for some reason it won't install to a 9800 from Mobipocket's site.

Then it gives them a button to unpack the book into the eBooks folder on the media card, which is where the reader looks when it's opened.

The main problem with the process, other than the 9800 problem, is that the installer can't unpack the book when media card encryption is turned on.  They have to manually turn that off temporarily in Options, install the book, then change the encryption option again.

I'd have sent you source code already, but this is one of the few source codes I've lost... I'm looking at something else I still have and if I can adapt that quickly back to an ebook installer I'll upload it here.

New Contributor

Thanks Silver.

This is pretty deep programming it appears, and there is nothing I can find in terms of how to set up an ebook in the vendor portal.

If you can help getting my setup I would really appreciate it.

I will start with a few simple questions.

Under product manager, for this type of application do I need to create a release?

I assume the ebook is considered a "good" where it shows I have 1 good in my profile.

I would guess the next step is to create a release, am I right?

Would the release then be the app reader itself? Id so where can I source the COD and BAR files?